Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Factory Reset Fix "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Will Factory Reset Fix "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

Hello
I have a Toshiba windows Xp professional 2001 Laptop

Before I got this error my computer was doing a shut down update. I forgot to plug the charger before I left to work and the screen said "please do not unplug or shut off computer" so I'm guessing my computer died before it could finish updating. I went home turned it on and got "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" restarted it and just keeps looping to that screen.

Spent hours searching the internet for a solution and nothing. So the only answer I could think of is factory reset it. Is there another way? Will it work? Please help

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Re: Will Factory Reset Fix "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

If you have a Windows XP CD you can boot off of the that and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter this will try to repair any problems.
If you don't have an XP CD, you can download the ISO image for the Recovery Console: DOWNLOAD: Windows Recovery Console Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD in the troubled computer, and follow the above instructions.

#3 ·
Re: Will Factory Reset Fix "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

I'm using my small back up net book it does not have a CD drive. Will the factory reset work though? I dont really have anything important on that laptop so I don't mind reseting it. But if there's another way that doesn't involve a CD drive I'll try it out.

#4 ·

If you can get to a System Restore, a backup was made between the update download and installation. If you can't, yes, the factory reset will get you going.

#11 ·

You can create a bootable USB Flash drive. If you have an XP CD, on another computer make that CD an ISO image using IMGBurn in my signature. If you don't have a disc, download the Recovery Console ISO and burn it to a USB Flash drive with Rufus. With the USB Flash drive with one of the programs mentioned on it plugged in, Boot into Setup (Bios) and change the boot order to USB or press F12 at Bootup to do a one time boot order change.
If you don't have any files your care about, then you can just do a Restore to Factory Defaults.

#14 ·

I'm using my small back up net book it does not have a CD drive. Will the factory reset work though? I dont really have anything important on that laptop so I don't mind reseting it. But if there's another way that doesn't involve a CD drive I'll try it out.
the OP needs to clarify, but I believe he is interchanging the words Netbook and Laptop for the same Netbook computer.

#15 · (Edited)

Sorry about the confusion. The laptop(toshiba) is the one with the problem. Forget about the netbook thing I only mentioned the netbook because one of the solutions was to burn a CD with a different computer. The only other computer I have is a netbook which has no CD Drive so im not able to do that solution.

Toshiba Laptop= Problem (Need help)

Netbook = No problem (forget I mentioned this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.