Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifi suddenly stopped working...

3K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  IT-Tech 
#1 ·
Wifi icon on system tray, wireless networks tab dissapeared suddenly disapeared and thus I can not connect. I think that happened just after I installed Ubuntu (9.04) on my pc in windows so I can dual boot. Wifi works ok in the ubuntu but in not in xp...

I have tried everything and read hundreds of posts in different forums but stil I couldn't find any solution.

I hope you can help me with this...

Thank you.

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSF!!!

Please check the device manager to see if the wireless device is still installed; make sure you do not have anything with an !, ?, or a red X next to it.

Check to see if your wireless service is running:
Click on START
Click on RUN
Type SERVICES.MSC
Click on OK
Locate the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service
Double click on it
Make sure it is set to START TYPE: Automatic
If the service is not running, please click on START to start the service.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hi, thank so much for volunteering to help me!

The WZC is set to automatic and it is running.

In the device manager now, I can see only two network adapters, a "1394 Network Adapter" and a "NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet"

I'm pretty sure there used to be a wireless adapter there.

I know I have an Atheros 5006EG on my pc, I tried yesterday to install the drivers and what happened was that it added a "atheros wireless network adapter #2" with an "!" saying the device is using no resources. I saw no difference in the problem so I uninstalled it.

#4 ·
Hi, you are very welcome and thanks for the update!

What is your system make and model number? Let's see if maybe you had an outdated driver or if I can locate one that will work for you based on the system make and model.

Also, please check in the BIOS setup to ensure that your wireless adapter is enabled, provided the system is a laptop with a built-in wireless adapter.

Thanks!

#5 ·
It is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pa 1538, originally it ships with Vista but I changed that to XP Home as soon as I bought it, I remember I had a similar problem with the wifi back then which I solved following a procedure using the command line but I can't find the instructions to try it!!

A year ago I formatted it and loaded XP Pro, the wifi was ok as soon as loaded the drivers, until a couple of days ago.

There is nothing in the BIOS about wireless adapters, it uses "PHOENIXBios"

Also, system restore doesn't solve the problem...

#8 ·
Hi and thanks for the update!

No problem at all and I was only asking what country you lived in because when I did the research on drivers and so forth for this model, it was mainly European countries. In which case, I wouldn't want to point you to a GERMAN software set and you are in Spain or France! LOL

Did you check the BIOS to see if you have a setting for WIRELESS, WLAN or something like that? This may be listed under ONBOARD.... or INTEGRATED..... somewhere in the BIOS.

Thanks!

#11 ·
The WLAN LED works ok as in the picture of the pdf, yet nothing happens when i turn it off or on.

I just tried "Odyssey" with "power manager" it doesn't work because there is not any network adapter availaible to choose
I also tried installing the Drivers from the official fujitsu siemens support page one more time, the same as post #3...

It is very weird because it seems like any option that has to do with wirelless throughout the XP has gone...

I'm pretty sure installing ubuntu from the included windows installer in its "Live CD" has caused it.

Thank you

#12 ·
Hi and thanks for the update.....

Very, very strange problem; The hardware device is obviously in the system and working since it works in Ubuntu. Since Ubuntu was the last thing you installed, it is possible, but it is just REALLY strange that it would affect this device and only this device.

Let me post a message in the TECH AREA to see if anyone has an idea; I'll also try to get someone from the LINUX side to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Hi,

IT-TECH, I find this a very strange problem too. I have a couple of questions for the OP. One has there been any updates to your windows system lately? I don't know if XP is still getting updates, but that could have caused and issue.

Second, if you could boot into Ubuntu for me and get the output for the command
Code:
lspci
This will tell us exactly what the make and model of your wireless card is. Also, please let me know if you are using proprietary drivers for your wireless, and if so what the driver is.

Cheers!

#14 ·
So, I installed ubuntu again, the results of the lspci are:

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)
07:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev c0)

I only use proprietary drivers for the nVidia Graphic Card

Let me know if there is anything more you need to know

Thank you very much...

#15 ·
Also, yes the XP are still getting updates an I install them as soon as they are downloaded, but I did a system restore to 1 month before this issue emerged and nothing changed.

The wireless doesn't seem to work now in Ubuntu where as it worked out of the box in the previous installation when wireless was fine in XP

The Ethernet works ok both in Ubuntu and XP

#16 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am going to have to do a little reasearch to find out what wireless card is being used on this laptop as it isn't showing up in the output. If you know what it is that would be wonderful. If not don't worry I will figure it out.

Edit: I figured out that you have an Atheros AR5001 wireless card. I also found that you aren't the only one that is having this problem a lot of people are. I don't know how familiar you are with linux. But there are a couple of solutions. First before I throw to much at you I would like to see the output from this command:
Code:
uname -r
Then we can go from there.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.