Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Wifi randomly turns off

This is a discussion on Wifi randomly turns off within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had this problem for a while now. On my laptop there is a light that indicates that the wifi

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've had this problem for a while now. On my laptop there is a light that indicates that the wifi is turned on. The light randomly turns off and my internet stops working. The only way I can turn it back on is to restart. I've tried going to Connect To on the Start menu and then to Wireless Network Connection. When the wifi light has turned off, the Wireless Network Connection window will not open for me to try to repair or reconnect. It seems like a problem with Windows, as the wireless connection and strength are fine and all other computers continue working. I've run security software thinking it may be a virus, but the problem continues. I have no other ideas and no idea what's going on. I'm getting frustrated having to restart over and over again, please help!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

See if you can download the latest drivers for your wireless network adapter.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for responding. I'm not very tech savvy though. How do I download drivers for my wireless network adaptor? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Right click 'My Computer' and click properties. Go to the 'hardware' tab and click 'device manager'.

Look thourgh the list for 'Network Adapters'. When you expand this you should see the adapters currently installed.

Right click on your wireless adapter and select update driver. Allow Windows to check online for a newer driver. If no new driver is found Right click the adapter again and select properties.

Click on the driver tab and note down the driver version and date. Then open google and search for your adapter model driver. If you find a newer version download, install and restart.

If you need anything explained better let me know, good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

give us the make and model of you laptop and we can help you locate the most current driver for it....

how old is the laptop,??quite possible the wireless adapter is going bad how long has this problem been present?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks again for responding!

When I went through My Computer, it didn't find a new driver. I Googled it and some websites came up, but I'm not sure if they have newer drivers. The date of mine is 3/13/2008, and I couldn't find dates on some of the websites.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1505. It's a little over 3 years old. I've had the problem with the wireless adaptor for about 4 or 5 months.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

You can download the drivers here:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=
Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

I thought that had fixed my wifi issue but it hasn't. I downloaded a new driver and it worked all day yesterday. But I was online just now and my wifi light went off again for no reason. With this new driver, I can at least view my wireless connections. The signal strength is strong. But when I click Connect a little box pops up that says Problem with Profile. So I can't reconnect to the internet and instead have to restart my computer.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #9

Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
is unchecked. Or this how to may help.

How to limit wireless connect to only one connection
http://www.wifimvp.com/howto/limitoneconnection.htm
Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

What model network card do you have installed?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

I went to the wifimvp link and tried to follow the instructions but got stuck. When I right click on Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties, there is no Wireless Networks tab. There is only a General and an Advanced tab, and neither have a box I can check that says Use Windows...

I think my network card is a Broadcom 1390 WLAN.