Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

why my pc keeps saying its not responding

This is a discussion on why my pc keeps saying its not responding within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi my xp pc latley when i switch it on and after a few mintues it says my window explorer

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi my xp pc latley when i switch it on and after a few mintues it says my window explorer is not responding what wud be wrong with it then your help would be greatful thanks i have bull guard anti virus

Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and hit enter. In the Event Viewer go to System and Application on the Left and see if there are any Red X's listed. If so, double click them and see what application or driver is causing the problem. Also, be sure all fans are blown out with compressed air. You can also go to Start/Run and type CMD in the Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and hit enter. Then type a Y and reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will start at next bootup to fix any file errors.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

hi thanks for that i did what you told me to do but its still the same way it will not respond it will go for a few mintues then it will stop just wondering wud it have a virus any way thanks for help
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

It sounds like you need help with cleaning out malware, Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

hi how do you get you system recovery to back 2days it wont let me it stays on the same day how do i fix this guys as i need files for work ur help wud be very greatful thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

1. Check for virus.
Reboot computer and press f5 when the computer is booting up. Go into safe mode with networking.
Go to download.com
Download malwarebytes
Run malwarebytes - do update then run full scan.
If malware/viruses/etc are found show results and remove them.

2. The Hard Drive on a computer usually has a life 3-5 years and sometime shorter. Upgrading your hard drive is a great way to improve the speed. Most new drives have more memory etc.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadman View Post
hi how do you get you system recovery to back 2days it wont let me it stays on the same day how do i fix this guys as i need files for work ur help wud be very greatful thanks
See post #4

Closed Thread