Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Why does it take so long to start my computer???

This is a discussion on Why does it take so long to start my computer??? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK, I hope I posted in the correct section. I have Windows XP SP2 and recently I have seen that

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

OK, I hope I posted in the correct section.

I have Windows XP SP2 and recently I have seen that my computer takes for ever to start or restart. I added 2GB of RAM and it worked great for 3-4 months. But the last 30 days or so it's just SLOW!!! Once it "Warms up" it runs fine but the damn thing is like an OLD OLSMOBILE WARMING UP IN A COLD WINTER MORNING. It shouldn't take this long to start.

I have EVERYTHING shut off to MINIMAL start up items. I have run every scan in the world and there are no Trojans, virus, ad-ware.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Thank you,

Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Anything in the eventlog?

Click on start, then run and type in eventvwr.msc and press enter. Look at the system log for any errors.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

The only error I found is this which doesn't mean much to me, does it mean anything to you?

------
The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$VAIO_VEDB ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (SpnRegister) : Error 1355.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

How many processes do you normally have running when Windows starts? Feel free to post a couple of screenshots if you like?

Before the problem start, did you install any new hardware or software?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

No new software, I turned everything off at start up except for minimal system requirements. I had AVG Free for a while but removed it because it seemed to make my computer slower.

I don't get it, did a system restore back about 90 days when computer was fine and it stayed the same. Once the computer gets going it's OK, except when I want to watch video's like on YouTube, but the start up is super slow! The Start up windows music that always plays sounds like it's playing in an old speaker that takes 3-4 times longer then it should.

Don't know what else to do, I even tired all of these steps I found on this website http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...-start-up.html The tips are good but I have already done all of this and haven't seen any improvement.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitasol View Post
Anything in the eventlog?

Click on start, then run and type in eventvwr.msc and press enter. Look at the system log for any errors.
sorry to intrude on a conversation - but I am having the same problem I looked at the event log and have lots of errors - what should I do now?

Also, If I should start a new thread please let me know - I dont mean to be rude.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Dracia Send a message via MSN to Dracia

Alex, how come you haven't installed Service pack 3? It could be that the older Service pack 2 is conflicting with other software and needs to be updated. Even if that's not what's causing it, you really should update.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_bear View Post
sorry to intrude on a conversation - but I am having the same problem I looked at the event log and have lots of errors - what should I do now?

Also, If I should start a new thread please let me know - I dont mean to be rude.
That is fine, the more feedback and support we can get the better!

---------

I will try installing service pack 3 and see if that gets any better but do you think it will make a difference? I have been running service pack 2 for a while and didn't have any problems,

Recently I did do a bunch of updates that were needed but I skipped service pack 3 and installed all of the others. Could that be the problem? Installing other updates and not doing SP3 along with them?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_bear View Post

Hi kim_bear...Although you are experiencing similar problems to the person who started this thread, the causes may be completely different so to avoid any confusion, you will probably be better off starting a new thread.

Add as much information as possible with relation to the issue...when it started, any new hardware/software installed, include some of the Event log errors you mentioned as well please
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinsandiego View Post
That is fine, the more feedback and support we can get the better!

---------

I will try installing service pack 3 and see if that gets any better but do you think it will make a difference? I have been running service pack 2 for a while and didn't have any problems,

Recently I did do a bunch of updates that were needed but I skipped service pack 3 and installed all of the others. Could that be the problem? Installing other updates and not doing SP3 along with them?
It's hard to say whether SP3 will make a difference to the problems you're having but it is highly recommended to have the latest SP installed as it does address many performance and security issues.

I know you already mentioned checking for viruses etc...but many programs miss out infections so I would also recommend you running an online scan at the following address:
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

Also, try running chkdsk to see if it reports any problems with the disk or file system:
- Click Start -> Run -> type:
cmd
- Click OK
- This will launch your Command Prompt. At the flashing cursor, type:
chkdsk
- Press Enter
- This will start a chkdsk scan in 'read-only' mode which will report if it finds any errors. If it does, you will then be able to run chkdsk with some switches that will attempt to repair any problems as well as check for damaged sectors. Let us know the results of chkdsk please
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

I just downloaded all the updates and it seems the same.

Here is the result of the Scan Disk that I ran. Please view the screen shot of it, it gave me errors and it wouldn't let me proceed.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp SCNDSK Results.bmp (659.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Does anyone in this forum know why the Scan Disk could not proceed and what the error messages mean? I attached a screenshot of the error above.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
Happy to support TSF!

My System

The best thing to do is try running chkdsk with some diagnostic switches to see if it locates any problems and is able to fix them.

As before, open up a Command Prompt, at the flashing cursor type:
chkdsk /f /r
Then press Enter. You will then be advised that chkdsk cannot run as the disk is in use by another process and to schedule the scan when the computer reboots. Press Y then enter, then reboot.

When you reboot, the chkdsk will take place...it may take a little time to complete depending on the size of the disk.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

This is probably a work-around rather than a cure but it works for me.
When shutting down your PC, simply click on the "hibernate" button instead of "turn off". I've been using this method for a couple of years now and it's so quick to fire up the computer,.. usually about 30 seconds and I have a workable screen.
The other option is to do a clean install of XP,.. drastic I know, but you will have a brand new OS ready to leap into action when you press the start button.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

I've been having a similar problem for the last few weeks and it looks like I finally have mine solved! I'm in no way a computer expert but thought I'd post this up here in case it helps. My computer was lagging in general and took a ridiculous time to start up. I'm not sure if your also having this problem (although you did mention youtube and your startup sound not working) but my audio/video was also skipping a lot, particularly when I tried to run other programs. I ran chkdsk and tried various other things but nothing helped.

SOLUTION: Check your DMA hasn't reverted to PIO mode. Go to System Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - then check that the current transfer mode for your Primary and Secondary IDE channels is DMA, not PIO. Windows sometimes reverts to PIO after so many errors and it can cause the computer to run slow.

To switch back to DMA go to: http://winhlp.com/node/10. Worked wonders for me! Good luck.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

I ran the chkdsk which took FOREVER! Must have ran for 6-8 hours, fell a sleep and woke up in the middle of the night to find that my computer must have restarted once the check was completed.

How do I view the results? I don't know if it fixed anything or found any issues that I should address. Please let me know,
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhut View Post
I've been having a similar problem for the last few weeks and it looks like I finally have mine solved! I'm in no way a computer expert but thought I'd post this up here in case it helps. My computer was lagging in general and took a ridiculous time to start up. I'm not sure if your also having this problem (although you did mention youtube and your startup sound not working) but my audio/video was also skipping a lot, particularly when I tried to run other programs. I ran chkdsk and tried various other things but nothing helped.

SOLUTION: Check your DMA hasn't reverted to PIO mode. Go to System Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - then check that the current transfer mode for your Primary and Secondary IDE channels is DMA, not PIO. Windows sometimes reverts to PIO after so many errors and it can cause the computer to run slow.

To switch back to DMA go to: http://winhlp.com/node/10. Worked wonders for me! Good luck.
I was a little skeptical and wasn't sure if I should try this but I am to the point of trying anything.

I have to say that as soon as I rebooted the computer, I saw an immediate improvement in performance. Can someone explain what I just did and if this is a permanent solution? I didn't understand much on the web page listed below.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #18
Windows Tech Team

OS: Windows 7 Pro, Fedora-20. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

What did you do? did you switch from PIO to DMA, or did you just run chkdsk.

If you only ran chkdsk, then I would download the harddrive Mfg's diagnostic disc, and run it against your drive.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

I switched the PIO to DMA and everything seems to be running much better. What is the PIO and DMA???
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #20
Happy to support TSF!

My System

PIO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output

DMA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access