Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Where are the System Drivers located in Windows

This is a discussion on Where are the System Drivers located in Windows within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I know this may seem like a dumb question.. But.. I have a totally messed up Windows XP-Ro Install... The

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I know this may seem like a dumb question.. But..
I have a totally messed up Windows XP-Ro Install...
The owner wiped and re-installed Windows XP-Pro and then used an online "pay for" Automatic Drivers installer. Well - it is messed up...
To make matters worse - their teenagers immediately installed iTunes and filled the C; Drive to 95% capacity. The second Drive only had 74& available capacity....
The owner attempted a Windows Defrag - but it wouldn't Defrag...

So then the owner attempted a Windows disk cleanup - It Failed too....
He told me he put the Windows O.S. Disk in and attempted a "repair" _ It failed (apparently because he didn't have enough room on the hard dtive).
I relocated the iTunes folder to the second drive and freed up 12Gb of hard drive space. Then I defragged the drive - boy it looked like an out of control christmas display - totally fragmented (never saw one that bad - too bad I didn't get a screenshot, you wouldn't believe it).
Defragged the drive, then did a disk cleanup...
Used the Aronis Disk Clone Software to clone the 40Gb Drive to an 80Gb Drive. Everything went well. But...
Now I don't have Systems Tools - Defrag, and Disk Cleanup is gone (????).
I replaced the cloned drive with the original boot drive - System tools is gone there too....
So, Do I have to reinstall windows from the get go - if so I need the system Drivers (since I cannot locate any for this IBM ThinkCenter PC (the ones I do just laugh when I try and use them - they don't install).
How do I know that?
I did a Windows XP-Pro Install to a fresh drive on this machine (yes - I took out the cloned and original drive....)
XP-Pro Installed just fine, but I have no Network Drivers (So I downloaded the ones from the support.lenovo web site- they didn't work.
As a last resort I rebooted the PC and put the "original" Boot Drive as "slave" drive. Then I did a Network Drivers "Update" for the LAN - but pointed the update to the E: Drive. After a lot of searching I found a driver that loaded. So then I had a LAN, and could go Online and use the support.lenovo drivers site - but they won't load?
Went back ad pointed everything again to the E: drive - finally got most of the drivers working (Video, LAN and Audio - But Chipset drivers eludes me).
SO THE ACTUAL REQUEST::::::
Where do I find the Windows/Motherboard Drivers for this machine? I know they are in the Windows O.S. (all the drivers work on the original and cloned machines). I just want to save them to a CD so I can do a total wipe and reinstall of Winblows.....
Then I have to find an ISO Image of a Microsoft Office Pro 2003 package to reinstall his Office PRo.
What I have done:
A) Used a utility to scan the PC and pull all the O.S. and Software Install keys (yes the in in the computer matches the key on his Win-XP Install package).
B) Obtained SP1a, SP2, and SP3 Install ISO's so I can get the system back to Win XP-Pro SP3.
C) Copied all the iTunes and MP3s to CD- all 39 CDs worth.
D) Copied their 7.3 Gb Photos onto CDs as well
E) Copied five DS's worth of Word, Excell and .pdf Documents
What I need:
A) A way to copy the motherboard drivers to a CD so I can reinstall after WinBlows wipe and redo....
Can anyone help? I am not worried about any possible data loss since I will attempt this from a re cloned drive (I am keeping the original 40Gb drive sequestered as an emergency fall back and re clone source).
I will also deal with the iTunes issues after the fact.
Help!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make and model # for the ThinkCenter laptop?
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager Any devices with yellow flags need to have drivers installed. All drivers that are not supplied by XP should be downloaded from the Lenovo site.Just type in the make, model # and type # download the drivers specifically for that model #

Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Went to te Lenovo Web Site - Downloaded the drivers (as I already posted).
When I clicked on the Driver I downloaded - Nothing...
Yea the system went through the updating - but returned with a response to search for the driver.
I selected "Specify" and when I try and point to the driver downloaded it will not accept it as a driver.. (even though it is an .exe file).
As I posted:::
Where are the drivers located (stored/Archived) in the Windows Installation?
I am trying to fix an install where the drivers were automatically installed by an "On-Line" "Paid" Driver Installation service. This so called automatic iinstall program has imported a bug that is playing havoc with the PC. Basically, sometimes the network works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the sound works, mostly it doesn't. When I cloned the drive - it cloned the problem (although cloning the 40 GB drive with 90% + full did help in regards to the drive capacity.
So I started from scratch and just formatted a new drive and I cannot get the network to work...
How do know it is the drivers? Because I already went to Systems, Device Drivers and noticed the "yellow question marks". Downloading the driver from the Lenovo web site and putting them on a CD did not solve the problem. But doing a random search through the original drive (set up as a slave drive did result in the system finding the drivers - but now the bug has moved to the new drive.... Aggggg).
So my question (i thought was a simple one) is: Where does Windows Store The drivers in the O.S. Install? If the drivers can be discovered by the system device manager while the drive is a "slave" drive, then I should be able to copy them and writing them to a CD after I scan them for malicious critters.
But back to the original question (this is frustrating): Where can I find the Drivers that are used by the Windows Device Manager?
Thanks
Dave
Phoenix, AZ
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

changed my mind about replying...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

From a google search, they can be found at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers and DRVSTORE

EDIT...Try this free driver update prog which is pretty decent SlimDrivers DriverUpdate - Update Drivers for Windows 7, XP, and Vista freebie button is the one on the left.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

When you right click any device in the Device Manager/Properties/Driver tab/Driver Details. You will see the location of the driver, C:\Windows\system32\drivers. When you click on a .exe driver it unzips a file to the C: drive, take note of the location it unzips to. C:\Lenovo, or C:\Drivers. If the device wants you to browse for the driver, lead it to the Unzipped folder to the .inf file. Go to Add Remove Programs and try to uninstall the paid driver program.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks gang...
I appreciate the help..
Dave
Phoenix, AZ