Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

when i type in face book the words dont come out as fast as im typing

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ddraig 
#1 ·
running xp on an ibm T21 here

on a few sites, particularly facebook, ive noyticed when im typing in a chat box or email their is substantial lag on the characters actually coming out,
its not hapening on your site

so what could this be please?

i do type quite fast, for a non secretary

but sometimes i have to wait for upto a minut for it to catch up?

have i got a bug?

any help greatly appreciatedet my head round this one

thanks again

i am quite computer savvy, but cant g

#2 ·
Depends on the site, Folks on facebook are slower so you have to type that way!
Just kidding. I find that older pc's with slow processors and lower ram are taxed with XP and good security measures running to the point of your type of problem showing up. How much do you have running at once? Have you tried Chromium browser (google chrome in windows), it might be a bit leaner. Are you running multiple chat programs at once? Can you try a chat program, just one, that will communicate with various others and not have multiples running at once, might help.

#3 ·
haha! priceless i know what you mean hehe

as a matter of fact that old T21 is in total lockdown with firewall, anti vir, no script blah blah nothing happens on it without my say so lol

so yea your probably right a ram heavy app like facebook is probably just the straw that broke the camels (processor!) back

is there anything i can do besides switching from firefox? i really like the fieryfox!

perhaps deleting some other fonts may help free up some ram? i only use english uk really

brains scrambling now trying to figure out what i can ditch, i already streamlined this a couple times

could it be a keylogger? i ran spybot other day and found 4 entries, seemed a little better after removing them, maybe theres a really sneaky one on there, the mind boggles, it wasnt always like this! lol

any help appreciated

:)

#4 ·
ever considered a frugal install of puppy linux? Diff versions but they have one with older kernel for older pc's and even one for easy dial up that works. Very small and light weight. Can use it for most internet apps and save xp for things that have to have windows.

#5 ·
This might speed up your firefox a little bit.

1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
2. Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
3. In the box that pops up enter config.trim_on_minimize. Press Enter.
4. Now select True and then press Enter.
5. Restart Firefox.

It will trim down the amount of ram used when you minimize it. Give it a try and see how you like it. My guess with the firewall/noscript etc and the fact you're going to a heavily trafficked site is probably the reason why the dropdown search feature is slower. Especially with noscript as it is a javascript based feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.