Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Web pages display incorrectly

This is a discussion on Web pages display incorrectly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, I have a minor problem or annoyance with web page display. As of a couple of weeks ago,

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
TKT
Registered Member

Hello All, I have a minor problem or annoyance with web page display. As of a couple of weeks ago, some of the web pages i use frequently have errors on them, specifically where you would normally find ads. For example, Yahoo, I can see the page well, but where all the ads are supposed to go, I get a blank space with the "page cannot be found" message. If I click on the area of where this message is, I do link to the homepage of the product being adverstised (e.g. t-mobile). However I noticed this error only occurs on certain web pages. If I go to MSN, I will be able to see all ads without any errors on the page, but if I go to the Houston Chronicle domain, I will get serveral errors of display on each page. And its only on areas displaying ads. I kinda thought it could be a cookie restriction of some kind, but not sure. Has anyone experienced something like this? It's not like I can re-install yahoo or anything liket that. So what would be causing this error in display. I like to also point out that I use two browsers, IE and SBC, and I get the same display errors using any of these two. I have SP2 for developers and IT professionals. I use an HP Pavillion running Win XP home edition, and I use Linksys router for my home network. This PC connects directly to the router. I would appreciate anyones input. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Just to clarify, the SBC browser is IE
Have you run any malware scans?

Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Henry

I don't see how this is bad, but I see how it's annoying. Have you tried cleaning out your temp files, cookies etc?

Try CleanUp!. It's free and very easy to use.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
TKT
Registered Member

I do a monthly scan for spyware, adware, etc. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the Yahoo spyware tool. I also use real time scan with Trend-Micro PcCillin. My system seems clean, my pop up blockers work very well. (not much to block). Just wondering if it's possible I could have accidentally messed up any settings or deleted any cookies that help display pages correctly. I have checked for Java updates, and shockwave updates and have them all up to date.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I have seen some problems with certain pages displaying placeholders for images. It turned out to be a cache issue. Try this:

In Internet Explorer click on Tools - Internet Options - General tab.
Click the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files.
Make sure Automatically is check.
Make sure Amount of Disk Space is about 6MB.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

TKT, I know this is an old post but did you ever find a solution to the dislplay issue you were having? I have the same issue even after trying everything suggested in this post.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Oddly enough, I have a system doing this also.

Windows Update (Under XP Pro (HP), IE7) displays with boxes around the links to indicate the hot-spot areas. Some of the images fail to display, and all others display incorrectly..

Reset Browser and Reset Settings failed
SFC /Scannow did not fix this either.

The problem does not appear to be within IE, but the HTML system, pointing to a DLL I don't know of yet..

Ran into this a few years ago on an IE6 system, before I was actually interested in knowing how to fix things accurately...

Other issues:
.NET 1, 3.5 failed to install including updates
used .NET cleanup utility, manual removal and MSCIUU2 to kill entries
-- Successfully reinstalled .NET!!! (Finally)

Appears to affect Google Chrome, did not check Safari (Guess this user has had this problem for a while..)

Any ideas?

Notes:
All other updates in Windows Update installed successfully
Silverlight installed
SQL Server 2005 Lite installed
Microsoft Small Business extensions found (and slowing the system greatly)
no spyware/viruses found by
- Spybot S&D
- McAfee
- Windows Defender
Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Found another solution, Reinstall Windows Scripting Host 5.6 -- No luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Possible solution, create a new user profile and transfer data from the old one.. Will try this later if all else fails..
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Odd suggestion, use the MSRT
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member

Very impressive list of spyware removal.. Will continue in the next day or two.