Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web browsers not working but IM's are

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jamiemac2005 
#1 ·
I need some help, A friend of mine msg'ed me asking me if i could help and well I really need help so.

My friend says since about yesterday (august 16 ) she hasn't been able to access any website using either IE or Mozilla Firefox. But she is still connected to the internet cause she is able to message me on Aim. She said it started after she tried to install Windows live. After she found out her web browser no longer worked she freaked and got rid of windows live. I did some research and I think that it could be a vx2 infection. But I'm not really sure. But I tried to get Ad-Aware to work on my computer with the VX2 plug-in and no matter what i try i cant get the plug-in to work so i can send her the whole thing and have her scan her computer. Can anyone please help me. I'm sorry but i cant get any hijack this logs so. And if you think its anything else like male-ware or something plz tell me so i can help her and learn from this

#2 ·
Hey, this could be a number of things, i haven't researched the VX2 infection you mention but i did find a "Manual Removal" guide here:
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=25
(it's further down the page than the description)...

But technically you don't know whether it is that or not so it would be wise to go through the forum's 5 step guide:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...read-before-posting-malware-removal-help.html
(Which i think would need a HJT log if nothing else works)

If your friend installed Windows Live from the main page(a trusted source) it shouldn't be malware, but i can see how it could be.

Browsers, etc. can also be blocked by firewalls, make sure she's not blocking her browsers with a firewall.

If all else fails get her to un-install windows live(and see if it magically works), you could also try e-mailing someone at windows live's support to see if they've come accross the problem before(but i'll leave you to find that address/contact if you chose to).

Cheers,
Jamey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.