Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

volume gone on a old h.d. computer with xp.

This is a discussion on volume gone on a old h.d. computer with xp. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi there :] i need some help re installing a volume driver?I somehow removed volume from my computer and am

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

hi there :] i need some help re installing a volume driver?I somehow removed volume from my computer and am unable to retrive it,it say's window's is unable to do it,due to the fact the my computer no longer has the software.i have no disc's with this computer,do i need to buy it or take it in?or can i install from windows website,or burn a disc from somewhere like i did for my windows disc?ty for the help i really need it .i have a old h.p.widows xp. media centre edition 2005 ty :] and please keep in mind i'm a computer idiot and i hope i'm in the right thread,i'm greatful for any help.one very,very late night i clicked a lil icon that said volume thinking i was turning it off temp. i turned it back on then off again,since then the volume does not work,and it say's something to the effect volume ability is gone,when my neighbour came over to download some i-tunes,the mesg. said it may not work properly as well.i don't know how to reistall the volume software if that is what's needed,and i don't have any disc's with this computer,thank you for any help.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

What is the make and model of the machine?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

also see this How to find drivers

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Please tell us the exact error message you're seeing. Here is a description of a Volume There is no Driver or software to download or install for a Windows Volume, this is installed automatically when you add a Volume. But XP may not be recognizing the File system of the Volume. Did this Drive (Volume) have a Drive letter? Is the Drive Letter still listed in My Computer? You can run Check Disk on the drive to reclaim the file system. Please answer these questions and we can walk you through the rest.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

spunkfunk I think it may be the sound driver they are refering to here

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Ahhh! Good catch Joe, I see you speak noob. Yes Moorg, tell us the make and model# of your computer. Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any yellow marks next to devices? If so these devices need to have drivers installed. You can go to the computer manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your service tag or your Make and Model# and download the Audio Driver for your computer.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

LOL I still think of myself in that way probably always will

Closed Thread