Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Videos lag/don't play properly

This is a discussion on Videos lag/don't play properly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, well I currently have a Windows XP with a 3DFX Voodoo 3 video card and for quite a while,

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, well I currently have a Windows XP with a 3DFX Voodoo 3 video card and for quite a while, I haven't been able to play most videos properly. These mostly include videos I've downloaded from the internet or at www.youtube.com. My problem is that the video always lags way behind, freezing and such, while the audio plays normally. Is there a solution to this problem other then buying a new video card? My computer is pretty old, around 1999-2000, and I rememeber it playing videos well, but now it doesnt

Thanks.
Jinn

-*I've posted this on the Windows XP forum and the Video card forum because i am not sure what the problem is

Old 04-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiC Send a message via MSN to NikkiC Send a message via Yahoo to NikkiC
i think the problem may be is that you are missing a video codec, i had the same problem. i'll give you the link just have to find it.

edit: try this link http://www.divx.com/divx/

i have that and it works really good. if that doesnt work, then try this site. http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm

Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

ok, thanks, I'll give it a try
Old 04-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #4

you have an old card by todays standards..how much system ram do you have installed?
you might check if there are any updated drivers available for it
good luck
Old 04-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
I wouldn't say it's the card (as was mentione din the other post) but it's the codecs and the CPU. New codecs require more power and a system from that era simply isn't up to snuff anymore.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #6

you could try and tweak the card here

but i would imagine if you put that card in the newest latest box, the performance would be subpar.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

I was wondering if someone could reccomend a good codec package to download that'll work for most online videos.
thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

From NikkiC's link, the 2 best ones are ACE and K-Lite. Install one of those (not both) and you should be able to play anything.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

video always lags way behind, freezing and such, while the audio plays normally.
First off give a link to a video that does not play properly.

while, I haven't been able to play most videos properly
What are you using to play your videos?

I do not know much about video cards but I know that I am using a video card with only 16mb also and I have no problems watching video downloaded or dvd's.

Maybe it not the video card but something else.

What are you using to watch the videos?
Have you installed any new programs lately?
What are you doing while you trying to watch video?
What else is running in the background? Check taskmanager.
Have previously good videos become bad in prefromance?

Yes your machine may be old but it really does not take much to watch videos and dvd's. I have a Pentium III 550Mhz , 4mb video card and Windows XP Professional. I am able to watch videos and play dvd, can I do other things while a video play Hell no but it still works.

So I personally would look at other things first. And as far as getting a new card, for that old of a machine would be a waste of money.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

well i usually play my videos on a p2p program called ARES, when those videos dn't play properly, i play them on WMP 10 to see if there are codecs that i am missing, and when those dont work, i play them on DiVX