Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

video stop and start/slow buffering/ loading

This is a discussion on video stop and start/slow buffering/ loading within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Can someone please help me? I am having a problem watching videos online, not just Youtube, its every video on

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Can someone please help me? I am having a problem watching videos online, not just Youtube, its every video on any site. What happens is the video will load and start playing, but stop every 5 seconds or so and start loading again. This just started recently, I don't know what changed. Before I could just refresh the page and vids would play properly, and Youtube would just play properly, but now all videos act the same and no matter how many times I refresh they still won't play with out stopping and starting.

I have cleared the cache, done disk defrag and computer cleaner, turned off the firewall and antivirus and changed web browsers and nothing helps. I watch a lot of videos so this is really irritating. It will take 20 minutes for a 5 minute video to load. Can someone please help me?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

It could be your internet. A slow internet speed will result in videos loading slowly.

Have you tried to lower the quality of the video on youtube?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Smile

Thank you for your prompt reply. Does the internet slow down over a period of time, because just last week I was able to play even High definition videos on Youtube with no problem. Is high definition, what you mean by quality?

Is there any way to speed it back up, I used this thing called Verizon in-home agent and it supposedly optimized the speed after checking it.

One thing I can tell you is, I changed Windows Media Player to I think my default video player and although the vids were still stopping and starting, when I paused to let it load they did load quite a bit faster. Someone also suggested I change my router settings, but I have no clue how to do that, something about my tp filter or something.

Based on the above, any other ideas, or am I just doomed to learn patience?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

try going to www.speedtest.net and check your speeds. Anything over 3-4mpbs should be more than enough for you.

You can also contact your ISP (which I am assuming is Verizon) and see what they say.