Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Video Memory Problem.

This is a discussion on Video Memory Problem. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys! I got some problems with my computer over here. I've had my computer from 2005 untill now. So

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys!

I got some problems with my computer over here.
I've had my computer from 2005 untill now. So that's about 7 years.

I had several problems with it but I could always solve them by re-installing and formatting windows XP.

I've been playing the game GTA Vice City, S4 league, Quake live and countless other games on this computer without any problem.

But now, as I formatted my computer once again I can't play any of these games anymore.

If I load GTA Vice City it says it cannot find available video memory
S4 League just starts up, the screen gets black and closes / crashes the second after
Quake live is too laggy to even start playing it.
Also Runescape gives me problems. Loading it on the lowest details still gets me a lot of lagg.

I've never had any of this problems with my computer and now they all occur. Its really weird.

I dont have an "external" video card, I don't know the name of it, It just runs together with my RAM which results in lower physical efforts.
My father tried to buy a video card to fit into my PC but it didn't fit into it. The shop man said that my computer is too old for the new kinds of video cards on the market and the video cards that I need are very very rare, they are almost not even produced anymore.

But the weird thing is, Ive never had ANY problems during 6.5 years with this and now, after formatting my PC again all of this problems occurs.

I tried to contact Dell but they say my guarantee has expired and I cant have support for it.

I tried to use my Service Tag Number as it helped me in the past with a lot of things and it includes driver updates and stuff like that BUT if I put in my code it says it cant find ANYTHING, no drives, no updates,.. nothing!

in the past there was a full list of things and now it is cleared? O.o

Please help me

Thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make and model # of your Dell Computer?
Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. The Command Prompt window appears (DOS). Now type a Y for Yes to run Check Disk at next bootup then manually reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will run at next boot up and try and fix any file errors.
You also can download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Make and Model: Dimension 3100

Doing the things you said now. I didnt had to typ Y for boot up or anything though. It loaded and then closed 10 seconds later. Ill try to do it again ill take a printscreen.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanB View Post
Hey guys!

I got some problems with my computer over here.
I've had my computer from 2005 untill now. So that's about 7 years.

I had several problems with it but I could always solve them by re-installing and formatting windows XP.

I've been playing the game GTA Vice City, S4 league, Quake live and countless other games on this computer without any problem.

But now, as I formatted my computer once again I can't play any of these games anymore.

If I load GTA Vice City it says it cannot find available video memory
S4 League just starts up, the screen gets black and closes / crashes the second after
Quake live is too laggy to even start playing it.
Also Runescape gives me problems. Loading it on the lowest details still gets me a lot of lagg.
Edit: I cant even play a stupid demo from an extremely small game! :s it says I dont meet the system requirements.. I played this little game like 3 yrs ago on this computer

I've never had any of this problems with my computer and now they all occur. Its really weird.

I dont have an "external" video card, I don't know the name of it, It just runs together with my RAM which results in lower physical efforts.
My father tried to buy a video card to fit into my PC but it didn't fit into it. The shop man said that my computer is too old for the new kinds of video cards on the market and the video cards that I need are very very rare, they are almost not even produced anymore.

But the weird thing is, Ive never had ANY problems during 6.5 years with this and now, after formatting my PC again all of this problems occurs.

I tried to contact Dell but they say my guarantee has expired and I cant have support for it.

I tried to use my Service Tag Number as it helped me in the past with a lot of things and it includes driver updates and stuff like that BUT if I put in my code it says it cant find ANYTHING, no drives, no updates,.. nothing!

in the past there was a full list of things and now it is cleared? O.o

Please help me

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

you are not typing the command correctly.
Go to Start/Run in the Run box type chkdsk /R (there is a space between the k and the / When you add the /R switch it goes through 5 stages. If you do not use the /R switch it is Read Only and doesn't fix anything and it goes through 3 stages. (unless you use the /F switch which goes through 3 stages and Does fix things)
If that comes clean, run the other HDD diagnostic tests I suggested in post #2. You can also go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing files from the CD.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Some interessting info:

Remember: this is the little demo game I could always play in the past with this PC such as GTA, Runescape,...

PS Doing the chkdsk /R
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok so I cant edit my previous message.

The chkdsk came clean.
What will the Seatools things do exactely?

All I need is something that cleans my Video memory.

2 weeks ago I could still play vice city and all that stuff and now my video memory got reduced to 3MB. I think there is something that could get it back to the maximum video memory for my pc, no?

-> Usefull pic
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What Video card are you using, Intel integrated or a add in card?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:

There you have it.. it was in my first post.

That means I didnt add any card in. :)

Remember: a week ago I could still play ANYTHING I wanted on THIS computer :)

Also I formatted my PC today but it didnt help.

Also take a look at the pics I posted.

Spunk: Burning the CD!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

I cant edit.. But The Seatools Fails to work! :(

I get this at the end and it didnt even start running:

Loading RAM Drive Driver

TURBODSK 2.1 - Drive C: Unformatted.

Can't take a pic of it as it shows up at the starting up of my PC and ofc Prt Scrn doesnt work there.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

In the Bios(Tap F2 when you see the Dell logo on startup) there is a setting for Video Memory size set to as high as allowed or 128meg if it lets you, but I believe it only allows up to 8 meg.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
In the Bios(Tap F2 when you see the Dell logo on startup) there is a setting for Video Memory size set to as high as allowed or 128meg if it lets you, but I believe it only allows up to 8 meg.
The option 8 Mb was already activated, still it doesnt work.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

The image in post #6 shows 3mb rerun that and see if it changed.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Already did that :) it didnt change
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Right-click on an empty area of the desktop and left-clicking on "Properties." Select the Information button in the bottom-left corner of the window, then click on Options & Support what is listed for available memory?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

I dont see any Information button on left corner of screen?

I tried going to settings then advanced and then I get a new window with Dpi settings etc. but I dont think thats the one I need
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Click on the tab at the top all the way on the right.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:

I tried going to settings then advanced and then I get a new window with Dpi settings etc. but I dont think thats the one I need
-> This is what I said in the previous post. So now what? :) I did the settings things then I get Advanced or Solve Problems (litteraly translated)

if I do advanced I get the Dpi.. Like I said in previous post.. ;)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

I have to find a Intel XP machine to see where to go next.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In the Display Properties if you have a Troubleshooting tab, choose that and put a check box in Enable write-combing and make sure Hardware Acceleration is to the right as Full. If you have a Information tab see what the reported Video Memory is.
You can go back to the Bios and reset the Video Memory to 16MB or 32MB depending on how much Physical RAM you have,
Also reboot the computer and press F12 and do the Dell Diagnostics.

Closed Thread