Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Video Lagging Problem, NEED HELP!

This is a discussion on Video Lagging Problem, NEED HELP! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. Im running Windows XP Home Edition on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop. For about 8 months now I have

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hi. Im running Windows XP Home Edition on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop. For about 8 months now I have been having video lagging problems with my computer. If im on youtube, or just watching videos on windows media player or iTunes I experience video lagging. The audio works perfect, but the video lags behind, and is very choppy. Every now and then something pops up in the bottom right corner saying Low Virtual Memory. Does that have anything to do with this problem? And if so, how can I fix it? Or is there a greater problem that needs to be fixed. I was told to download codecs packs and instal them, but I know nothing about them at all, and it says I need to configure them. So I dont get it.

If you could PLEASE help me, that would be amazing! Thank you very much for your time!

-Tyson

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

There are a few things that can cause the problems you described.

The first thing to check is how much physical RAM you have. To do this simply right click My Computer and choose "Properties". In the window that loads, near the bottom it will list your CPU in "GHz" and how much physical RAM you have in MB or GB if you have that much. If you have less that 512MB of RAM that could potentially be a problem.

The second thing to check, in that same window if you click the "Hardware" tab and then click where it says "Device Manager" it will list all the hardware in your computer. Look for anything with a yellow exclamation point or a red x. If you find any, report them back here. If you find one, that means some of your hardware is not installed properly and may need to have the drivers reinstalled.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Okay thanks. I checked it all out. And yeah. I found my problem then. I have 128mb oh RAM left. ALSO you told me to check the Device Manager, and well. I found one with a yellow exclimation point symbol. Its COM4. I have NO idea what that is at all.

So how would I go about fixing my problem, I double clicked on COM4 and it said that its not installed, and to re install it. Do I do that? And what do you I do about my 128 mb of RAM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You don't have 128MB of RAM left, you have 128MB period. Get more RAM. Download a program called System Information for Windows. That will show you a ton about your computer. One of the tabs under hardware will be memory. That will tell u what kind of memory you have and what you need to buy to increase your RAM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

128MB of RAM is definitely a problem. That does fit the minimum requirements of Windows XP, but just barely. The only way to increase that would be to purchase some new RAM. If you tell us the make/model of your PC we can help you choose new RAM.

As for COM4, I am surprised that is not installed as Windows normally has the driver for them. Try right clicking the device and reinstalling or updating drivers and let Windows search for the drivers automatically.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Closed Thread