Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

very odd data corruption affecting only iso files in a weird way

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Long story short my roommate thought it was cool to turn off my computer by just holding in the power button. This has happened many times and messed up something that chkdsk fixed.

But here it's the problem: all files work except iso. Now the weird, I can mount them, burn then, extract them, then I try to execute and windows gives me an error of file not found, including the path if it was extracted and says please check path or search for file. The kicker is that all non exe files can be accessed no problem.

Any ideas here? All iso files are affected, even acrossdifferent disks, which makes me think something is going on inside windows.

Regards

Iceberg

#2 ·
Now the weird, I can mount them, burn then, extract them, then I try to execute and windows gives me an error of file not found,
Can you be more specific on what you're trying to execute? Is it an .exe file within the ISO? I would run chkdsk /f again, you may just have some corruption in your file table.

System File Checker is worth running as well, to make sure you don't have any corrupt system files. Type SFC /Scannow at a command prompt. You may need to insert your XP disc with the same version service pack that your computer's using.

#3 ·
I can mount them, burn then, extract them, then I try to execute and windows gives me an error
If you are extracting files from an ISO image, the files that are extracted are no longer ISO files. You then should be able to press the Setup or .exe file to execute the extracted program. If you are saying that after you extract the files, that the .exe file does not work, then try a different extraction program like IMGBurn in my signature or WinRAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.