Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Using Hirens boot cd

This is a discussion on Using Hirens boot cd within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Back in November I posted a question about xp with a boot problem. Your advice was to download a

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi
Back in November I posted a question about xp with a boot problem.
Your advice was to download a Hirens boot and burn a cd.
After much frustration I have now made a Hirens boot cd 12.00 and run it.
I have loaded the mini xp section and tried to run chkdsk /p C: and all I get is invalid paramitters.
When I run chkdsk I get the message read only, but it shows no bad sectors and 119807 kb total disk space amonst other information.
The command prompt shows up as X:\i386\system32
when I run chkdsk/F it says file system is ntfs cannot lock current drive
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

If I try and chance directory to either cd /C: or cd /D: it says drive not recognised.
I have two disc drives by the way Windows is on C: . D: just has some files on it. Windows is xp home with sp3 installed
Windows was preinstalled so I do not have the windows disk.
Any further suggestions as this is driving me round the twist.http://www.techsupportforum.com/imag...es/1-upset.gif
:upset

Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

Weel, to start with, the format for the command is chkdsk C: /p (or whatever switch you want, eg, /p /R /F).

For the cd command, have you tried just typing c: ?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Try "chkdsk c: /x /r" (without the quotes). The "/x" switch forces the drive volume to dismount.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

First, when you see the message the volume is in use and chkdsk /f cannot be performed give it a minute or two then you will be prompted to schedule the scan for the next boot. When prompted to schedule the scan tpye y > press enter > type exit > press enter. The message you are seeing is perfectly normal for running chkdsk /f while the disk is in use.

<Mod Edit: Removed info on cd with illegal content>
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

TechGeek2, he's booting with Hiren's Boot CD. That's not the problem. It's just a BART CD with a bunch of apps on it. He just needs to add the "/x" switch to dismount the drive as I instructed him.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the three replies
I have tried chkdsk C:/x/r and I get the message "cannot open volume for direct access"
Every variation of chkdsk gets me the same mesage or no result at all. Having looked at 'my computor' it shows the following
3.5 floppy drive (A) B ramdrive 358mb D= cd drive, E=cd drive
x mini xp 116mb.
No metion of the two hard drives which were C & D.
It seems as though the system is not seeing drive C: or D:
I have tried chkdsk on D, just in case the drive letters have become switched. but nothing more happens.

I have also tried some of the other items on the hirens boot cd and not of them have offered me a fix.

I am totally baffled, any further suggestions please.

Cheers john
Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

In the Mini-XP either click on the command prompt icon or go to Start/Run and type CMD. In the Command Prompt type C : and hit enter(this should change the X: prompt to C: ) If so then type chkdsk /F. If that fails, at the X:> prompt type DIR C:
This should show the contents of the C: drive, if Windows is not listed then this is not the boot drive.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-boy View Post
No metion of the two hard drives which were C & D.
It seems as though the system is not seeing drive C: or D:
You answered your own question. Sounds like boot disc you're using isn't recognizing your SATA hard drives or your hard drives are completely dead. Most likely the former. Try a different recovery CD or a Windows XP retail cd and use the recovery console. You could also try changing the SATA option to compatible mode in your Bios.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
You answered your own question. Sounds like boot disc you're using isn't recognizing your SATA hard drives or your hard drives are completely dead. Most likely the former. Try a different recovery CD or a Windows XP retail cd and use the recovery console. You could also try changing the SATA option to compatible mode in your Bios.
Actually, unfortunately, I'd say it's the latter. Still, you can verify which of us is correct by finding someone who has a retail version of Windows XP slipstreamed with SP3. If you go to a "mom and pop" PC repair shop, they'll probably be willing to burn you a copy for a couple of dollars. Just tell them your using it for troubleshooting and not to actually install WinXP.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Having tried most of them and none of them have worked, I have resorted to ordering a windows xp home disc with sp3.
This should arrive in the next two days and lets hope that it does the trick.
I will keep you posted.

John.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

To Fractalman93
My bios is Amibios 08.00.09 01/26/05 ID A0036001
I have been into the bios settings and cannot see where to change the sata options ?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

Unless your hard drive is completely dead, imho you went around the block to end up in the same place. It would have been sooo much easier to create the Utility Disc I linked you to in my post above, boot from the disc into ERD Commander and attempt a system restore. The disc also has Windows Recovery console. Alternatively, if you didn't want to try the ERD Commander you could have simply created a bootable Recovery Console disc.

Of course, it should be noted that I do not know what your initial problem was other than a boot issue. Many boot issues can be repaired but, it would depend on the issue as to which command you use. fixmbr and/or fixboot repair a number of boot related issues. There is also a repair for NTLDR errors on the Utility Disc.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #13

Run HDD Regenerator off the Hiren's instead of chkdsk.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Robot View Post
Run HDD Regenerator off the Hiren's instead of chkdsk.
That takes a LONG time, but I have had it work where chkdsk and other methods have failed on a few occasions. It's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-boy
To Fractalman93
My bios is Amibios 08.00.09 01/26/05 ID A0036001
I have been into the bios settings and cannot see where to change the sata options ?
That was actually Fred Garvin how mentioned the BIOS settings.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalman93 View Post
That takes a LONG time, but I have had it work where chkdsk and other methods have failed on a few occasions. It's worth a try.

That was actually Fred Garvin how mentioned the BIOS settings.
No, I think you are thinking of "SpinRite" which takes DAYS. (and I've never known it to work)

HDD Regenerator can run a 160 Gbyte (that has no bad sectors) in about an hour. Longest I've seen it run was 3 days, and that was on a completely dead HD with 10's of thousands of bad sectors.

Typically, I see errors on the order of 5 to 50, and expect it to run no more than 4 hours. More errors, more time however.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Is your hard drive recognized in BIOS? It sounds to me like you're trying to run scans on a drive letter that isn't assigned, either because the boot cd's you're using have assigned a drive letter other than C: to your hard disk, or because your hard drive is dead and can't be seen by the computer.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucufata View Post
No, I think you are thinking of "SpinRite" which takes DAYS. (and I've never known it to work)

HDD Regenerator can run a 160 Gbyte (that has no bad sectors) in about an hour. Longest I've seen it run was 3 days, and that was on a completely dead HD with 10's of thousands of bad sectors.

Typically, I see errors on the order of 5 to 50, and expect it to run no more than 4 hours. More errors, more time however.
No. Definitely HDD Regenerator. When I say long, I'm talking like 3 hours as opposed to 40 minutes for chkdsk /r.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalman93 View Post
No. Definitely HDD Regenerator. When I say long, I'm talking like 3 hours as opposed to 40 minutes for chkdsk /r.
I've brought back HD's using HDD Regenerator that chkdsk would not scan.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucufata View Post
I've brought back HD's using HDD Regenerator that chkdsk would not scan.
Exactly. That's why I said it's worth a shot.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

Just to let you all know how the problem first occured.
I was booting the computer up from cold and I get this message
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. \windows\system32\config\system
Reboot with widows disk (which I do not have)yet) and selct 'r' at the first screen.
The bios recognises the two disk drives as ft tx ary 1 and ft tx ary 2
I have tried to used the hdd regen programme but when I try it using dos off the hirens boot the menu item was there but when I tried it, it said something like not present (just forgotten exactly what).
When I used one of the disk checking utilities it seeme to show windows on disk C but on the second partition which I don't think I created ? could it be the problem that it only reads the first partition when I try and boot. If so how do I remove this first partition ?
Or am I just better waiting for my widows xp cd to arrive.
I shall try again Tomorrow, Saturday.

Thanks again guys.