Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Accounts problem in safe mode

This is a discussion on User Accounts problem in safe mode within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, Recently decided it would be a good idea to add a password to the Admin account in safe

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

Recently decided it would be a good idea to add a password to the Admin account in safe mode.

However, when I click the "User Accounts" icon in control panel while logged in to the Admin account i get a missing win32.ddl error.

Doesn't happen in any other accounts...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

I have found this -> Toolbar: SurferBar - {FF7FD490-34E7-4FA1-927A-F5799E6AAD7B} - c:\PROGRA~1\win32.dll which appears to link that .dll with malware.

You can Google the whole string.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #3

Okay, first this is not advice, this is guessing, and is only intended to give you some idea, and also I could be completely wrong, BUT...

If this were my machine & my problem, this is where I would be at:

The Registry has a separate section for Safe Mode, so as to give some protection to the machine in case something happens like infection. So, when you boot to Safe Mode, you are using a separate section of the Registry to get there. A different set of instructions, etc...

And so if there is a problem only in Safe Mode, I figure that's where the problem is.

My guess is that somehow, malware has changed the path of that .dll from where it is supposed to be (probably c:\windows\system32) to somewhere else, but it's not there because the infected .dll has been removed by an AV software or manually.

So, I'd be looking at finding that registry entry and changing the pathname so that it is correct, and pointing to a good copy of that .dll and not an infected one.

Unless you ARE infected right now, in which case none of this is useful and doing anything with it may cause permanent damage to your O/S.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

@ CCT and Jennifer,

Thanks for the replies, have never heard of surfer bar and after running regedit and searching have found nothing that looks like any of the details within the log you posted CCT.

Also like your idea Jennifer though i dont really know where to start looking, going to install and run Hijack this and see what I can teach myself :)
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
CCT
Helper

The point of the link is that there is, or has been, an association of a .dll by that name with a specific bothersome Toolbar.

The fact that you don't have the Toolbar BUT have an error due to a startup or run or load command pointing to win32.dll could simply mean your AV got rid of the Toobar BUT the startup or run or load command remains.

I do not have that .dll on my comp and I have a fully complete XP Pro.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, so I ran HiJack this in Normal Mode and everything seems to check out, i'm guessing to find the corrupt file/s i need to run it in safe mode...

However I tried to do this and within the Admin account I dont seem to be able to run any executables either??
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Is the file win32.dll or win32.ddl ?

Run a scan of the hard drive, including system and hidden folders, and run a scan of the registry and see if the file exists and/or is mentioned in the registry.

I checked my XP Pro machine and do not have the file nor is it mentioned in the registry.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

sorry, typo .dll :)

tbh, is not a major problem as I dont really have any security issues to need to password protect my PC, it's just annoying that so much doesn't work in safe mode...

surely safe mode should be more stable than my other user accounts...??
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
CCT
Helper

Safemode sections of the Registry are a frequent area of virus attack because people think they are secure with that area.

Most times these areas are attacked succesfully is due to people creating and running Administrator accounts instead of Limited accounts, particularly when surfing.

All the advice I can give.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is this XP Home? And the only profile with a problem is the Built-in Administrator account, which can only be accessed in Safe Mode?

Sounds like the profile is corrupted. Can you open a Command Prompt when logged into the Administrator account in Safe Mode? If so, type set user and press Enter.
Check the path shown in the userprofile variable, it's normally C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator, but it's possible that is different.

I'd suggest logging in in normal mode with an Admin account, and just move the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator folder (or whatecer name you determined above) to another location, like your Desktop. This will force the system to create a new profile folder.

If that works, and there is nothing that was saved in the Administrator account that you need to recover, you can delete the old folder you moved to the Desktop.

Closed Thread