Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

User Account Problem

665 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rob2122 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I have a bad situation on my PC that I should have fixed but here I am. Last year my XP home was basically crashed (wouldn't boot up, just kept restarting). A friend of mine had an authorized version of XP pro that could be installed which I did. I was able to get to all of my old files on the "home" version and all was fine. I should have retrieved everything and wipped the system.

Here's the problem now. My wifes user account (I have three accounts at log on screen) took some sort of a hit. When she logs her settings are all different and her documents are gone (in desktop and my docs folder). When I log into my account, I can see her original folder as well as one that has a dot followed by some numbers. It seems her account split off into a modified account. I was able to get some of the documents retireved, but some things like Quicken data appears to be gone. If she was hacked....they have our balances but nothing else really as account numbers are not stored in Quicken.

Is there a way to restore her log in so that her original user account appears? At the log in screen it looks the same, but when you click to log in, it takes her to this other account.

Thanks!

Just thought to add this item...before this happened, we were quickly apporaching a full hard drive (145 GB capacity). I just hadn't had time to transfer stuff to our external hard drive. Maybe this problem led to the other? I've got about 12 GB free now....there was less than 1% free space when the problems began. So I guess this could be the problem or does anyone think this is virus/MW related?

See less See more
#2 ·
OK...to make it worse....this morning when I loged on I received a message that Norton staopped its scan becaus ethere was not enough memory. I had just moved 12 GB to an external drive. Now it says I once again only have 1 GB remaining on th ehard drive! Somebodies loading stuff on to my PC.....or it's being used as a host?

#3 ·
Your wife's account might have become corrupted and Windows is loading a Default Profile. Log into the computer as Administrator. Browse in Windows Explorer to C:\Documents and Settings you should see your wife's old profile user name listed there. You can create a new User account in the Control Panel/Users and then copy the My Documents, Desktop/and Favorites from the old profile to the new one over writing those files in the new profile. Then log out as Administrator and log in as the new user. As for your space issue, download CCleaner and delete temp files, run registry cleaner too. Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and see if there is Unallocated space on your drive. If so you can format it creating more space for you.

#4 ·
spike, CCleaner didn't work.

I can no longer get on the Internet now either. Something has definately yaken control. I just thought of this...outlook express had given me messages about being full and if I would like clear space. I don't use outlook express...I'm thinking my pc is being used as email spam device.

I'm about to just buy a new hard drive, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.