Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

USB Wont Recognize Iphone Cable

This is a discussion on USB Wont Recognize Iphone Cable within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop (IBM T40), will not recognize the Iphone/Ipod cable. It does recognize my usb flash drive, but not the

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop (IBM T40), will not recognize the Iphone/Ipod cable.

It does recognize my usb flash drive, but not the cable, so it cant be a loose connection. I only have 2 ports, neither work with the cable.

Used to work, stop working all of a sudden.

It says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned".

Have reinstalled drivers, didn't work.

Have already uninstalled all the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager & restarted, didn't work. It did recognize the cable as my Iphone made the sound that it is charging, but once it went into Windows, it didn't recognize it anymore.

Installed new updates on windows, didn't work.

Also done solutions on here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ion-52413.html

But they are same as what I've already done.

Thoughts?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JEFFINPA

Sam, what you will probably have to do is un-install ALL of the apple software, (something got corrupted, but what? is the "Q" that remains) and reinstall All of the apple software. FIRST, back-up those files you need from that apple software like iTunes stuff and any iPhone stuff(numbers and such) not the actual software though. Then reinstall all of the software from apple, if you forgot to un-install something, you'll find out real quick because it still will not work. If you wonder what to un-install, go to apple.com for the list of software to download, write it down and un-install it. Let us know if this fixes it for you because there are a couple of other things to try, but you don't want to do them just yet, I'll let you know>
Jeff

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Jeff,

I uninstall everything Apple, Itunes & Bonjour, and reinstalled. Didn't work.

I should also mention:

I've tried 2 cables none work on my laptop, tried on my brothers laptop, and they work fine.

So it's not a problem from the cable.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

sam, I hope that when you plug in the iPod/iPhone cable and device that under "my computer" it shows a drive, but says it is a mass storage device and doesn't show an iPod/Iphone icon. I assume that you are running windows xp and it is at least service pack 2 or 3. I had to do this to get xp sp3 on my computer to recognize the apple device, I had to "compress files" on my harddrive in order to get it to see the device, and i haven't had a problem since. Idid though had a couple of desktop icons use a default icon, but they still worked, that's the only thing. To do this go to"my computer, then right click and select properties, click on the general tab, then click on the box for compress disk space". This is exactly what I did to get the apple software to work properly. The worst thing is the "why?" behind that procedure. Let me know
Jeff
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sam,

A co-worker and I have been dealing with the same exact issue. Tried connecting iPhone to USB ports on 4 different Win XP systems. Same "malfunction..." error.

So, we plugged it into a wall outlet via USB adapter to see if the cable was okay. iPhone began to charge, so cable was fine. Plugged into USB port on system again and "bingo" Win XP recognized the iPhone and iTunes sync'd perfectly.

Huh??? Plugging the phone into the wall for a few seconds and then back into the USB port on the PC fixed the errors. Doesn't make any sense, but it worked.

iPhone was already fully charged to begin with, but we wanted to ensure the cable was working, which is why we tried the "in the wall" part. Fixed the issue on all 4 PC's.

iPhone needed a bit of "real" current to jolt it back into reality??? I don't know.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFINPA View Post
sam, I hope that when you plug in the iPod/iPhone cable and device that under "my computer" it shows a drive, but says it is a mass storage device and doesn't show an iPod/Iphone icon. I assume that you are running windows xp and it is at least service pack 2 or 3. I had to do this to get xp sp3 on my computer to recognize the apple device, I had to "compress files" on my harddrive in order to get it to see the device, and i haven't had a problem since. Idid though had a couple of desktop icons use a default icon, but they still worked, that's the only thing. To do this go to"my computer, then right click and select properties, click on the general tab, then click on the box for compress disk space". This is exactly what I did to get the apple software to work properly. The worst thing is the "why?" behind that procedure. Let me know
Jeff
No drive shows.
Yes, running Windows XP Pro SP 3

I have 8GB free still on my hard drive.

Can you explain where the "compress disk space" is again. All I see under general tab is the comp specs, and I don't see it in any other tabs of the system properties either.

I'll try uninstall all Apple software again and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug237 View Post
Sam,

A co-worker and I have been dealing with the same exact issue. Tried connecting iPhone to USB ports on 4 different Win XP systems. Same "malfunction..." error.

So, we plugged it into a wall outlet via USB adapter to see if the cable was okay. iPhone began to charge, so cable was fine. Plugged into USB port on system again and "bingo" Win XP recognized the iPhone and iTunes sync'd perfectly.

Huh??? Plugging the phone into the wall for a few seconds and then back into the USB port on the PC fixed the errors. Doesn't make any sense, but it worked.

iPhone was already fully charged to begin with, but we wanted to ensure the cable was working, which is why we tried the "in the wall" part. Fixed the issue on all 4 PC's.

iPhone needed a bit of "real" current to jolt it back into reality??? I don't know.
Thanks, but I've tried that and to no avail.

I've been charging it with my wall charger, but when I switch it to my laptop it wont charge.

It charges on my brothers laptop but not mine.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Jeff,

I tried the uninstall, reinstall again. Still no luck.

Did the compress disk space to C:, but not its subfolders as it would take 6 hours or so. Didn't work. Also did a disk clean up.

Any another solutions Jeff?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

there was one thing, i compressed the entire drive to make it work, that included all sub-folders. Apple software has a way with not working with microsoft, i.e., the 2 biggest kids on the block. I should've told you it would take a while. I've got several people e-mailing about this same problem and i am having them do the same thing as you are. Compress the sub-folders, you can always reverse the process. I'll check back to see what is happening.
Jeff
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Nope,

Did the Compress All Sub-Folders, still didn't work.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Would the next step be reformatting my computer?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

sam, no you don't have to reformat your harddrive. I need to look at something else. i'll post asap for you.
Jeff