Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

USB Flash Drive: "Access Denied"

This is a discussion on USB Flash Drive: "Access Denied" within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a client running XP SP3 I think. When one inserts any USB Flash Drive, it only gives

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a client running XP SP3 I think. When one inserts any USB Flash Drive, it only gives out an error message: "F: Access denied".

It does seem to pick up the drive, but no access allowed onto it.

What I've tried:

1. Did try and access it from Windows Explorer in the left hand panel, doesn't even "explore" or "open" on the right-click options.

2. Accessed the "All Users" folder to see if it wasn't listed there to try and access it, but it wasn't.

3. Looked in Device Manager to see if it wasn't something to do with the drive letters clashing, but no other drives are present.

Please help!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Enthusiast

The flash drive probably needs replacing, they don't stay reliable for long. That's why it's never wise to put files on them for long-term backup purposes. They are only fit for transferring files between computers.

Just buy another one, they don't cost enough to spend hours of hassle trying to get it to work.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing worng with the flash drive, as it still works perfectly on other machines, no problem. Oh, and did I mention that ANY other flash drive has the same problem on this specific pc?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Some flash drives have a security slider switch on the side which makes the drive Read Only. But since this is happening on ALL USB Flash drives there is another issue. With the drive plugged in go to the Device Manager. Do you see any yellow flags next to devices? Or under USB do you see an Unknown Device? Also go up to View/Show Hidden Devices. See If any USB device is listed. If so, right click it and Uninstall. Now remove the drive And reboot the computer. Once the computer comes back up, If this is a desktop, plug the device into the Back USB port of the computer not the front or into a hub. As these ports are weaker. It should start a hardware wizard and install the drive. Then go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management the drive should be listed. Here you can change the drive letter, or right click it and choose Explore. You can also using a different computer, copy the data to another location and then Format the drive here. Then restore the data and see if that helps.
If this all fails, do other USB Mass Storage devices work (flash, HDD, SD card etc?)
You can go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will take any missing files from the CD.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,

I tried most of your suggestions, no Unknown devices in device manager, no other USB devices will work either. Plugged them into the back of the pc, no difference.

I haven't done the scannow yet, as I know this is time consuming process and this is my client, which makes it a little difficult to take the time for that, so if there's no other option, I'm keeping it as a last resort.

Any other ideas maybe?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

SFC shouldn't take more then 15 minutes or so. It just scans your Windows files and replaces any missing or corrupted files from the CD.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks, I will try that and come back with some feedback.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Also download the Chipset driver for the computer from the manufacturers support/download drivers site.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

Will do, thanks.