Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading problems from XP Home to XP Pro

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  linderman 
#1 ·
I have XP Home on my computer now and have an upgrade to XP Pro but receive an error.

A box pops up and says ............

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

Is there anyway around this and why am I getting this message when going from XP Home to XP Pro?

Any help and thoughts are appreciated!!

#2 ·
Is your upgrade a full legal version of Windows XP Pro? It may be that your current installation has all the updates and the upgrade may not have those updates, although I don't really think that that would give you that error message.

#4 ·
Yes the version I have is legal.

I think its something to do with the service pack.

After another search I found a post on a Microsoft forum about it.
Honestly I did not understand it. I am going to ask a friend tomorrow and
wait for more advice.

The post said something about me needing a slipstream copy or making
it a slipstream copy.

Going to look more into it tomorrow.

Thanks
I would post a link or quote what the otherforum post was but I did not know
if that was okay or not.

#5 · (Edited)
yes / quotes are fine ! the problem you are having is WIN XP with SP-2 installed is considered a more recent version than is Win XP Pro with SP-1

this is easily overcome by slipstreaming or adding SP-2 to your WIN XP Pro OS disk

this is an easy process / all you need is a CD-rom burner and perform these steps / in the end you will have a Win XP Pro SP-2 install CD

Slipstreaming Process

here goes download auto streamer version 1.03

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562 <<<< see jan 19th , 2005 installer towards bottom of web page

then download service pack -2 to a folder on your "c" drive / its own folder is best / make sure to pick the "network version of Sp-2 or multiple computer version" because this is needed in order to get SP-2 into a folder / if you select the version for one computer it wont go into a folder / instead it will integrate directly into windows
scroll down the web page / this is the one you need
Download and Deploy Service Pack 2 to Multiple Computers

"Download this version of Windows XP SP2 if you need to deploy it to multiple computers over a network"
multiple computers version !!!
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

afterwards its damn easy / open autostreamer / it will ask you to for the source of windows XP and also where the source of the SP-2 are
the source of the Win XP OS disk can stay in the cd-rom drive / the SP-2 you will have downloaded to a folder - get it to navigate to the folder / thats pretty much it dude >>>> after you push the button to do it / when its done it will make a file as you name it >> like "win xp-2

once you see the file that it created after making the intergrated "new" version / you simply click on that little file icon / your cd burner program should take over from there and make you a "bootable" win xp-with SP-2 on it

if you have any questions ~ ~ dont hesitate to ask
also; please let me know how this step by step slipstreaming tutorial works for you or if I need to modify it for understanding purposes ????

regards

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.