Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Unusual boot error

This is a discussion on Unusual boot error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. One of my customers recieved an HP computer from some orginization for her son who is doing some type of

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

One of my customers recieved an HP computer from some orginization for her son who is doing some type of home schooling.
I had to set it up in the sense of connecting everything and installing the printer drivers and webcam drivers. Well upon the first boot I recieved a boot error which read " Invalid Electronic Serial Number" which was at the left top and in the left bottom highlighted in blue stated F1:Boot. This erro was after the HP logo and right after the POST.
So upon pressing F1 it booted up fine. I alerted her to contact someone as to this error just wasnt normal and why should her kid have to press F1 to boot his pc everytime.
So while she was talking to someone I set up the printer and the kids webcam and proceeded to setup a wireless connection with her main pc and this pc. Before I got done setting up the wireless router/modem I was put on the phone with some technician from the orginization who stated he never heard of this error either. He proceeded in saying maybe the sata cable wasnt tightly connected or that I may have not connected something up right so we doublechecked everything on the outside but I refused to open the case as this was a brand new pc and didnt want to void any warranty. Basically with his advice I set the boot sequence to boot to the h.d.d first which didnt help and then set them to default which also didnt help. He then said they were sending her a new pc, problem solved. Well in my eyes the problem wasnt solved and to my curiosity I am bugged at this error and what it means.
So, without anyone bustin their butts trying to resolve this as the pc went back to the org., has anyone seen this error before?
This will bother me till I find out what the issue was, and if I never find out well I'll die wondering

Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #2

Hope this link works
Otherwise, go to
Hp.com and put invalid electronic serial number in the search box.

This is one of the links
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...nload/625.html
Quote:
This software creates the program I15_D820.COM. The program allows the user to correct a condition that may produce the message "Invalid electronic serial number" during POST after the system board is replaced on a Professional Workstation . This solution will be incorporated into the Professional Workstation Setup Utility in versions that will succeed version 1.03 of that utility.
Here is another
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/9063.html
Quote:
This SoftPaq creates a diskette for programming an electronic serial number into BIOS for
the Compaq desktop models listed below.

This can occur when the system board is swapped. An example of a possible symptom is that a Deskpro 6000 model is incorrectly identified at boot time as a Deskpro 4000 model.

After running SNZERO.EXE, you must enter the correct serial number using the appropriate Compaq Computer Setup utility (F10).
Basically they replaced the HP blessed motherboard with a board of the same make and model (but not one from HP) so there was no need to repair the OS, but the HP blessing is not there; so it has an INVALID electronic serial number on it (a non HP number).

Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Unbelievable, ya know the guy I talked to on the phone was the one who actually assembles those pcs. He knew nothing of the error. Well thank you very much for the information, I can now die in peace
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #4

Well, I have known people who worked in these help call centers before they were all outsourced overseas. It was rare to actually encounter one who knew anything more than a basic level about computer usage let alone anything about computer repair. They worked with a guide sheet and database on a computer. If they did not know how to ask the question they would never get the correct answer.

Having encountered this need for a "blessing" before I recognized it for what it was. It is typical of todays repair joints where they think that an A plus certificate means they have all the knowledge they will ever need to fix pcs.
But all to often it is these little things that they do not teach in schools which make a big difference.
The blessing on a OEM motherboard is part of the OEM restrictions where microsoft says you cannot install it on another machine.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #5

Sorry, I had to run ; the OL wanted Sonic burgers, it is 1/2 price family night .

Anyway, not to knock the value of an A plus cert or other certification; but originally the intent of the test was to give those who had been doing this for years a way of testing their knowledge and being certified as qualified in the feild. It was only later that trade schools and community colleges began offering courses in how to pass the test.

So, yes the certificate is valuable as is the course; but it is not a substitute for experience and being able to recognize a problem you have previously encountered.

This is where forums like this really can offer a valuable service. They are invaluable in sharing experience and expertise as well as helping those who want to try to learn how to maintain things themselves.

I really think that once a person gets an A plus or similar certificate they should spend as much time in forums like this helping and sharing so that they can gain that life experience which the certificate was originally intended to convey that they possessed.
It would be beneficial to both employers and employees if more employers would take the attitude that participation in these forums at work when the employee has free time qualifies as job related study and training.

Because the bottom line is that there is so much to learn and know that if you do not keep up with it your knowledge soon becomes obsolete and if you do not take the attituded that there is something new to learn every day you will miss a lot of really important knowledge and skills.

Closed Thread