Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Unmountable Boot Volume error, unable to fix, need help

This is a discussion on Unmountable Boot Volume error, unable to fix, need help within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. -Using Windows XP on a Dell Dimention 8300 desktop.- About a week ago, I attempted to start up my computer,

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

-Using Windows XP on a Dell Dimention 8300 desktop.-

About a week ago, I attempted to start up my computer, and to my dismay, I ended up with the blue screen of death with an error that was something like
Quote:
STOP
unmountable_boot_volume EDx0000000 0x0000006 0x0000000
(I'm currently typing from memory on my ipod so please forgive me if I'm a bit vague) Anyway, I've tried everything I can think of. I'm unable to run chkdsk as it brings me directly to partitions, and I really don't want to re-format because my data and backups of things are very precious to me. Is there anything I can do?
Also yes I did use the search function before posting this and nothing helped

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

I believe when you run chkdsk - you have to choose which partition you would like it to check/fix.

Also, have you tried a repair install?
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.
2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.
3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.
4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.
5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If all went well, you should now be able to boot back into Windows without a problem!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

matt there's no option for me to hit r and type chkdsk. it just brings me to partitions and when i select ones it asks me if its the one i want to install windows on and i dont want to lose my data. and coolfreak wouldnt that be the same thing as re installing? cause i dont want to re install until i can get my data and back it up.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

The Chance to hit R for the recovery console happens before you get to the partitions part. Usually before the Hit F8 to agree to the Microsoft agreement. You can also do a Repair install at the partitions part, http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

A reinstall of Windows, like I and spike2me posted, will not delete any of your data. If done correctly, of course. Just follow the instructions. It's a fairly simple process.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

yea when it says welcome to windows install thingy, the same screen contains the partition.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #8

Did you follow the instructions? http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm. If it fails to give you the Repair install option and If there is data you want to save from that drive, then pull it from the computer and put it in a USB enclosure, hook it up to a working computer and you can backup any data off of that you want. Then put it back in the non-working computer and do a fresh install of Windows from the boot CD.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

I don't understand why it's not showing the repair install option.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2me View Post
Did you follow the instructions? http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm. If it fails to give you the Repair install option and If there is data you want to save from that drive, then pull it from the computer and put it in a USB enclosure, hook it up to a working computer and you can backup any data off of that you want. Then put it back in the non-working computer and do a fresh install of Windows from the boot CD.
What do you mean a USB enclosure? The only USB flash drive I have is only 1g of memory and my friend's external hard drive started smoking as soon as I plugged it in, and it won't work now. The screen it gives me is basically the one you're describing, minus the "press R to repair" option.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

I find it odd that you don't have the repair option. Highlight the partition, and press R. That's weird that it won't let you.

Anyways, a USB enclosure is pretty much an adapter so you can plug your internal hard drive into another PC as an external hard drive.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

Idea

Press "R" to repair will only come up once you have CHOSEN the partition to repair (windows will find the old installation on the drive and then offer a repair option)

The only thing you'll see before that is recovery.