Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

unmountable boot volume

This is a discussion on unmountable boot volume within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi all, i am sorry if i am reposting but i have a gateway laptop that was working fine but

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi all, i am sorry if i am reposting but i have a gateway laptop that was working fine but now goes to the win logo and then flashes unmountable boot volume and reboots over and over.
i have tried the following:

recovery cons. via xp cd but it tell me it can not locate my hd.

recovery sys via bios default setting and sys recovery and got the famous irq not less or equal.

I am able to see the drive on another comp via usb. but it caused my comp to hang when i try to access the files.

safe mode stips on agpcpq.sys

comp is a gateway mx6214

thanks for any help

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Drive is bad or going bad. If you know the brand you can go to the manufacturers website and download a diagnostic tool to check the drive. Most will come as an ISO file that you need to burn to CD using a program that can burn an image file.

You can try a program like GetDataBack to see if it's able to recovery anything.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Download the ISO image for Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and burn the image with IMGBurn boot off of the newly created CD on the troubled computer and run the short and extended tests. If it cannot fix the drive it will need to be replaced. As JMPC suggested use GetDataBack NTFS to recover any files from the drive if it can't be fixed.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request for assistance cleaning up/out virus & bad image errors
Hi there. With the hope someone may be able to navigate me through a fix to restore this laptop to its pre "Windows XP Recovery" virus state, and the further hope I've not frustrated the solution process going too far ahead solo, here goes... My laptop is a newer Dell running Windows XP (I...
dagtagit Resolved HJT Threads 74 06-14-2011 05:40 PM
[SOLVED] Trojan keeps returning, PLEASE help
Thank you for reading. Any assistance would be appreciated tremendously. This is what has happened: The computer started redirecting from Google to random websites. I did a Symantic Endpoint Protection scan and it showed nothing. I couldn't print and other programs wouldn't load etc. I...
Rachael2 Resolved HJT Threads 59 04-13-2011 01:28 PM
url redirects plus some other spurious behavior
Was unable to complete an Amazon transaction yesterday -- checkout pages wouldn't load without repeated attempts. Then found that search engine results were being redirected. Tried System Restore to several different known-clean restore points -- all failed. Have also noticed these intermittent...
tooleyweeds Resolved HJT Threads 14 04-13-2011 11:42 AM
[SOLVED] Unmountable boot volume
hi fellow users i have received the following error when booting into xp. Unmountable boot volume 0x00000ed (0x8a202900,0xc0000006,0x0000000,0x0000000) I don't know what this means but i know it is bad. please reply ASAP becuase i need to do work on it. Yours Faithfully Computer-novice
Computer-novice Windows XP Support 13 03-18-2011 11:13 AM
Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD
Laptop - DELL Latitude D505 Ok so I am trying to fix a laptop running windows xp that keeps giving the "Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD" after the xp loading bar screen during boot-up. Here's what I've tried, any suggestions other than a clean reformat which the person doesn't want done? -Won't...
cl0udedth0ught Windows XP Support 3 01-11-2011 07:07 AM