Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Unable to Uninstall a program!!!

This is a discussion on Unable to Uninstall a program!!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am unable to uninstall a DVD player installed yesterday on my PC . I went to add/remove programs in

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I am unable to uninstall a DVD player installed yesterday on my PC .

I went to add/remove programs in control panel to uninstall the DivX program but there is no such program on it with that name.
However, when I try to delete the shortcut, it says that removing the shortcut will not delete the program from my computer.
Thus I went to add/remove programs which is not working in this case.

Also, my PC has become very slow, sends "unable to open the dll.file error messages" and "not responding" messages very frequently.The new computer mechanic who installed this MUST have installed viruses along with the player(deliberately) and this may have resulted in all these.
I have made the norton antivirus run which is not showing any virus error as of now. Is this a virus/spyware related problem and if so, how could I remove it.
Please let me know how to uninstall this program as I am getting uncomfortable with the fact that I am UNABLE to uninstall it!!!I am a novice in
Tinacomputer viruses.
Kindly let me know what to do in this matter as I am neither able to play the dvd player nor able to uninstall it.Please help!

Regards,
Tina

Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi Tina, why do you want to uninstall DIVX? If you want to watch certain media files on your pc you will need it. First and most imprtant go to accessories>system tools>disk clean up and remove any junk off the PC. Then we need to check your pc for trojens and spyware. Go here and download, insatall and update it http://superantispyware.com/superant...freevspro.html
Once installed and updated run the program in full scan mode.
Once all the above is down go to start run>tpe in the box cmd>sfc /scannow this will go through your system files and check them for errors, you will need your XP disk ready to be inserted once prompted.

I will get back to DIVX later.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Does this mean I will have to format the PC.I donot want to format the PC because it contains a lot of data.I will visit the website you have sent.Please also let me know if norton antivirus can catch this kind of virus.Thankyou so much for all this information.You have been very helpful.

Tina
Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

Hold off on the malware hunt.

Programs frequently decide they do not want to uninstall. The message from the shortcut is normal it always happens and means nothing.

Exactly what is the name of the DVD program you want to uninstall ? There is a chance that it may be malware, but it would be best to find out for sure. A link to the place that you downloaded it from would be best.

If you have Norton it would not be a good idea to download & install any other AV program such as what has been suggested. Further, forum rules prohibit Members from giving advice on malware removal to other Members as there are malware removal experts available here that will not create more problems than they solve.

Please post the name of the DVD program you installed, and a link to the site where you got it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Sometimes when programs are uninstalled, shortcuts remain. To find out whether the shortcut is valid, just double click it...if DivX opens, it's still installed but you may just get a pop popup telling you it's unable to locate the file. If that happens, just delete the shortcut and that should do it. If it does load the program, go to:
C:\Program Files\DivX
Then see if it's possible to run the uninstall files direct from there.

Post back on your progress please
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Firstly,I would like to thank Girderman and Nickster a lot for helping me in this helpless situation of mine.

I now remember that I had two DVD players installed yesterday.One is Divx, which the mechanic installed by his CD and the other is from the link [url]www.cliprex.com.One of this is having a virus/malware(if at all), though the virus has yet not done any catastrophic damage except giving those not responding messages more frequently than before.
However, in case of cliprex, the setup(most probably it must be a setup) was downloaded but we couldnot open the setup as it was corrupt.Thus,I deleted the setup then and there.
I am not able to remove Divx even from add/remove programs.
In future, I will make sure that I call a different comp mechanic if at all, as this one was really troublesome for me!!!
Regards,
Tina
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi Tina...

are you able to uninstall DivX from its installation directory (C:\Program Files\DivX)?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Nickster,
I am still unable to uninstall the software.When I left click it, PC cannot locate the exe file.However when I delete the shortcut, the message comes that I should remove this from add/remove programs or else it wont get removed.Still, I have deleted it inspite of this message.It is now in the recycling bin hehe...Do let me know if there is any thing that could be done,if at all.Thankyou once again.
Tina
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

I just forgot to mention this...I couldnot uninstall even by
C programfiles divX......
Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hmmm...it may be an idea to download the DivX installation bundle from http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/. Once downloaded, continue to install as you would a normal program, once done, go to add/remove programs and uninstall from there.

It seems that some registry entries have become damaged or even deleted which is affecting the uninstall process so reinstalling then uninstalling should fix it.

Post back to let me know if that helps or not please.

Do you know if the person who worked on your pc 'cleaned' the registry either manually or with any programs?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have now installed power DVD in my PC. I donot know if the mechanic did any such thing as in cleaning the registry, etc.Yes,I will implement what you have told about uninstalling.I hope it will finally uninstall the program.Thankyou once again.

Tina
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Wink

I think you could try some other uninstaller like CCleaner. it is free to download, look for it in google. if that do noit do the thing just go in Program Files and delete a whole folder containing the program. after jou delete his folder there are no files that could be locked by the system, you will be able to remove it in "Add or Remove". But, if the system locks it (folder you try to delete) stoping you to deleting the file, download a program called "Unlocker", also look in google search. It is a free program also and it saved me a lot of nervs with files i could not delete. he will always be runing and it does not use higher than 1 mb of your RAM.
When you see the message that you cannot not delete the file, just press ok and wait until unlocker shows you wich program locks the file, than press "unlock all" and go delete that ugly file or folder!!!