Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unable to restore from external "freeagent" backup drive

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello to all you smart/clever people out there; :4-dontkno
My problem started as: My XP SP3 recyling icon howed full but when I opened it to see what was in it, it showed empty (nothing). From the icon it showed 41 files.
I deleted the contents but I did not realise or know that "my computer" and "my documents" folders on drive C were in the recyle bin I had deleted. A total of about 11 000 files - 30Gb.

As I had a saved version on my external "Seagate FreeAgent" hard drive I tried to restore these files for the first time ever. It was more difficult than I thought, I was unable to do so. The instructions only tell of dragging the respective file to the location wanted, but it does not work.

I have all the files from the external drive shown on the PC and load and transfer files that way. I am not allowed to to use the safe disconnection feature of the USB, getting the message to wait until later for disconnection so I leave it permanently connected.

My question for help is: how can I restore the two folders and and their files in a simple procedure.

Thanks to all helpers :embarased

See less See more
#2 ·
You can't delete the My Computer icon or send it to the Recycle Bin. My Computer has everything on your computer under it, including the protected Windows System files, so it will not let you delete it. You may have deleted the My Documents files, but this too has protected system files that won't let you delete it. If you go to C:\Documents and Settings\[username} is there a My Documents folder there? If so, you can open it up and copy the contents of the My Documents folder in your backup, and paste it into the My Documents folder under your user name.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you "Spunk.Funk" for your reply.
I can not access C:\ on the PC as the Icon has disappeared when I deleted the contents in the recycle bin. The HD has a partition "D" .
I have since downloaded, but not fully used yet, "recuv" and that caused more additional problems. :4-thatsba
Not my day I suspect. Appreciating very much all help you can provide.

frankyson

#4 ·
If your operating system is Windows and it is on your C: drive, and you are booting the computer to Windows, you cannot delete the C: drive. It is protected.
Please go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, this will show all of your drives and the letters they are taking up, take a screen shot, and post it in your next thread.

#7 ·
As you can see from the Disk Management window you attached, you have a 1 hard drive with 3 partitions. The first partition which does not have a Drive letter is a Restore Partition. If ever your computer isn't running well and you want to bring it back to Factory Settings, you can access this partition at bootup, you will loose all data, but it will take our computer back to factory settings. And you indeed have a C: and it is not deleted as you thought. In fact if you right click your C: drive in Disk Management and choose Explore you will be able to explore the files on it. Your D: Backup Drive is an Extended Partition Now as for your external drive, The window is not expanded enough in the picture to see it, unless it is the G: drive, which does not show that there is a drive there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.