Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unable to find hard drive while installing XP

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  justpassingby 
#1 ·
Ok so i had to replace my hard drive this week, so i bought a WD IDE 320gb hd. While trying to reinstall Windows xp i have hit every possible issue that i could think of. I tried to do it with the jumpers out(like i seen suggested on these forums). Its currerntly connected to the end of the IDE cable as well. It does show up in the bios as well. Any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
Hi syr1dad and welcome to TSF !

Make sure the IDE cable is connected to the primary IDE controller (refer to the motherboard's manual), set the jumper as master (look on the sticker that's on the back of the drive) and hook the hard drive to the end of the cable. Hook the CD-rom drive to the middle of the cable and if it also has a jumper set it as slave. Unhook all your other IDE drives for the time of the installation.

Make sure you're using an 80 wires IDE cable. Read this for more information.

What CD are you using to reinstall ? Is it a retail XP CD ? If it doesn't have SP2 on it then create a new XP SP2 CD.

What's the exact model of your drive (look on the sticker) and what's your motherboard's brand and model ?

#4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for at least answering my post. It wasnt the HD at all. I returned that one thinking it was that and it still couldnt find one. When i plugged that it i had the same problem. So i started messing around and tried to Master the Hd and Slave the Cd rom off the main ide slot from the HD, and it work. So it was my IDE controller card.

The question i have is why would my IDE contoller card work w/ my CD-roms, but not be able to support my HD?

Again thanks for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.