Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

unable to delete folder

This is a discussion on unable to delete folder within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i am trying to delete a folder but get the following error message - cannot delete folder mainmenu: directory not

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

i am trying to delete a folder but get the following error message -
cannot delete folder mainmenu: directory not empty ... even when i try to delete the sub folders inside this folder i am unable to do so ... pls help

Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi edifiz

Try again in Safe Mode, logged in as Administrator. And first, in Windows Explorer, make sure the View in "Tools/Folder Options/View" has the selected dot in front of "Show hidden files and folders", and remove the checkmarks from the boxes in front of "Hide extensions for know file types", and "Hide protected protected operating system files.

It's likely this will show some files you previously could not "see". Now you should be able to select and delete them. Once the subfolder is empty, you should then be able to delete it, and it's parent folder as well.

If you still can't delete the files and folders, you may need to gain "ownership" of these. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Best of luck
. . . Gary

Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

i tried everything that you suggested .. nothing worked ... this is a game that i downloaded from yahoo games ... anything else that i can do to delete the folder ... i still get the message filder not empty though there is nothing in it ..
Old 10-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edifiz View Post
i tried everything that you suggested .. nothing worked ... this is a game that i downloaded from yahoo games ... anything else that i can do to delete the folder ... i still get the message filder not empty though there is nothing in it ..
In your described situation, the best thing to try is the free program "Unlocker" from: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ . It is very effective.
Gene K
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi again

Did you see any files in the folder after you changed the view settings? If so, you'd need to take ownership of them - I usually take ownership and delete them one at a time, and then take ownership of the empty folder, and then delete it. Usually, this is best done in Safe Mode.

I haven't had that procedure fail to delete any files yet, but every computer is an adventure of it's own: and it may indeed help to try a third-party delete utility (you'll notice that many of these need to reboot the computer to truly delete things). If "Unlocker" isn't successful, there is a tool used by some of my security-minded friends called "killbox". You have to be careful when using it, but it is generally successful. I haven't had a need for "Killbox" myself, so I can't say that I've tried it myself. It has only be recommended to me by others. You can find killbox at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Killbox.shtml

That files on your computer have settings keeping you from being able to delete them can be a strong sign of a malware infection - whether currently active, or dormant, or a leftover from a previous infection. Might be a good idea to try the 5-Step Security Checklist to take a closer look at that http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=15968

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

even after i changed the view setting i could not see any files in the folder ... as u said i think the problem is that of a virus .. i have posted my logfile in hijack this thread ... will wait for that problem to get solved before i try anything else ... thank you all for your help ...
Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

yipppiiieeee my problem is solved ... thanks to the help i recived from hijackthis forum ...
Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Don't forget, we still have a bit of work to do in HJT