Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Unable to Connect to the Internet (Looping?)

This is a discussion on Unable to Connect to the Internet (Looping?) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello every one! My friend is having a problem connecting his desktop to the internet. He keeps getting the "Limited

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello every one!

My friend is having a problem connecting his desktop to the internet. He keeps getting the "Limited or no connectivity" message. I have taken a look at it and have no clue what is going on. I'm going to write some some things that I found that look a little suspect and I hope that what I'm trying to say is all clear.

His ISP is Comcast and they have sent out a tech to check the modem, which they replaced, and have verified that the modem is working properly. His girlfriend can bring over her computer and hook up to the modem and reach out to the net just fine, which leads me to believe that the problem is in his computer.

At first I thought it was his network card but he bought another one and installed it and keeps getting the same problem.

I opened up his command prompt and typed in "ipconfig /release" and was basically told that that action as already be perfromed. I then typed in "ipconfig /renew" and got this:

Windows IP Configuration
An error occured while renewing interace Local Area Connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

I have never seen this message before so I have no clue what it means.

After trying some things that I could think of that didn't fix his problem I decided to use the "ipconfig /all" command and came up with this.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection - specific DNS Suffix
Description - Name of the card
Physical Address
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Auto Configuration Enabled: Yes
Ip Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: (Blank)
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

I know that something there isn't right. I just don't know exactly what it is and what needs to be done about it.

In passing I would like to mention that the Comcast tech said that he had seen something like this before. He called it 'looping'. He didn't know how to fix it because he watched a co-worker do it or something like that. I've tried searching the net for looping but didn't come up with anything that seemed to help.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just trying to be as complete as possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Lane

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

I had the same problem as well, unfortunately I had no way of fixing it either so I had to call a software technician to take a look at it, at which point he said it is a weird problem because just like in your case, the PC seems to be recognizing the internet and its connection but it just doesnt seem to want to connect for some reason. My technician did something - cant remember what. He bought it back, working well again and said the problem was that a virus was found and it was most likely the problem - something called SmitFraud.

If nobody else has an answer to this (I suggest waiting a little longer for an actual expert to post here) then I would suggest doing a system restore on the PC and see what that does. To do this, go to Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and then follow the directions. Try to also do some ping tests. Go to Run, type in cmd and then type ping and your IP adress number next to that (without a space) and then press enter and see what results are returned and post them here.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiy View Post
I had the same problem as well, unfortunately I had no way of fixing it either so I had to call a software technician to take a look at it, at which point he said it is a weird problem because just like in your case, the PC seems to be recognizing the internet and its connection but it just doesnt seem to want to connect for some reason. My technician did something - cant remember what. He bought it back, working well again and said the problem was that a virus was found and it was most likely the problem - something called SmitFraud.

If nobody else has an answer to this (I suggest waiting a little longer for an actual expert to post here) then I would suggest doing a system restore on the PC and see what that does. To do this, go to Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and then follow the directions. Try to also do some ping tests. Go to Run, type in cmd and then type ping and your IP adress number next to that (without a space) and then press enter and see what results are returned and post them here.
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Right before I left my friend's house I said that as a very last option restoring or reformating his computer might help out.

I'll keep your reccomendation in mind and like you said, use it as a very last resort.

Thanks again for the help and I'll hold out a little longer for some one that might have a fix for this.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Does any one else have any idea as to what is going on with my friend's PC?