Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to Auto Install/Re-Install Generic Device Drivers

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dellguy77 
#1 ·
I have a Sony RS-220 desktop w/ XP home w/ SP2 & all updates since that's unable to auto install generic device drivers. I discovered this when I tried plugging in a couple different USB flash drives & it would just stop at the found new hardware wizard. Running the wizard w/ "install the software automatically" & also enabling "also search windows updates" returns unable to find device driver. The USB flash drive was the only bang in device manager. I uninstalled the usb controllers, rebooted and amazingly the controllers wouldn't auto reinstall. Suspecting the behavior extended to more then just USBs/the chipset I uninstalled some unneeded devices (56k modem & 1394) & they also wouldn't auto reinstall. I went to the sony website & strangely Sony doesn't list the chipset available for download w/ the other drivers I downloaded the chipset direct from intel & installed it but that didn't work either. I've tried many other things to no avail. Malware scans (spybot, AVG AV, rootkitrevealer)...all came up clean. I've tried a new admin user profile, cCleaner registry cleanup, resetting registry permissions w/ subinACL, setting related windows services to automatic, checkdisk /r. Another thing I thought about doing was uninstalling the PCI controller, but I think I recall that can get ugly. Ultimately the only thing that allowed me to get my usb controllers, usb hubs, modem, 1394, & usb drive working was to "install from a list or specific location" & "include this location in the search" C:\WINDOWS\inf. Does anybody have any idea how I can restore the functionality of generic drivers auto installing & not having to point to an INF directory? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm having very much the same issue with a friends Dell w/o ps/2 ports. He removed ALL of his USB devices and is stuck at the new hardware wizard with no functioning mouse or KB.

It sounds like you managed to get yours going. could you explain to me (in simple terms) how you managed it?

#4 · (Edited)
Here is a good explanation
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html#xp_asks_for_drivers

Basically registry key pointing to the path to the inf file is corrupt or missing.

Start the Registry Editor (Run -> Regedit). Check if under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the item 'DevicePath' points to '%SystemRoot%\inf'. Additional items, separated by semikolons, are ok but '%SystemRoot%\inf' has to be one of them.
Then delete the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1 - XP will recreate it.
The INF folder and the infcache.1 file are 'hidden'. To see them in the Windows Explorer:
Menu 'Tools' -> 'Folder Options'
Tab 'View', mark 'show hidden files and folders'
If it still doesn't work after a restart, the files in C:\WINDOWS\inf might be corrupt. An Windows repair install helps then.

Another thing to check is if the values 'FactoryPreInstallInProgress' and 'AuditInProgress' are set to '1' under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory
. They should be 0 or non present.
Simple fix, no need to reinstall or restore.
IE
Go to start / run and type
regedit
Hit enter
Expand the registry folders to get to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
and select the folder CurrentVersion on the left pane and on the right you will see an entry (String value) for Device Path
Select it and choose Modify from the right click menu (not modify binary)
In the value data entry add %SystemRoot%\inf
If there are multiple paths listed, make sure they are separated by semi colons
lick OK to make the change and then exit the registry editor
Then go to control panel / folder options / view
Make sure show hidden and system files is checked and uncheck hide protected files and uncheck hide known file extensions
Then go locate and delete the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1
Restart your computer and the problem should be fixed.

If it did not, then check the other two registry entries they suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.