Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to access https websites

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  thebigbadWOLF 
#1 ·
Help, I'm ready to pull my hair out. I ran CCleaner on my desktop a couple days ago (I know, bad) and now I am unable to access any secured (https) websites. I have been researching this for 2 days and have tried everything I can find to fix the problem but nothing seems to work. I am using Windows XP Home, IE 7. I'm afraid I have removed something from the registry that is needed to access these types of sites.

I am using a 2 wire 2700 modem/router and have no problems accessing everything with my laptop. I spent an hour on the phone with my ISP, to no avail. I have performed every function I can find from various tech websites but have had no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
No luck with that, Wolf. I just noticed today that I also cannot access my Yahoo email account. I can get into Yahoo but when I try to go to my email I get the same error message: res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm. This flashes at the top of the screen for just a second and then I am re-routed to Ask.com. I also tried to upload Java and although I could access the Jave website I could not upload the program. Thanks for your help.

huskerjp

#4 ·
network issue, but the re-routed to ask.com is puzzling me.

ok a few more questions

do you do your windows updates? there is a dns arp cashing ttl exploit going around thats hitting everyone....and since the htm is a dns error i want to rule that out

also tell me about your network, wireless hard wired? more then 1 computer
all computers on you network having this issue? if yes

it could be related to a mtu error

by upload you mean download? you were trying to download java is this correct?

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T the other day (my ISP) and they couldn't find anything wrong. Wolf, here is the info you asked me about:

Yes, I meant download. One of the possible solutions I came across was to download the newest version of Java. Could access the website but couldn't perform the download.

Yes, I do perform Windows updates. They come across automatically and I always do the updates.

I use a 2 Wire 2700 modem/router. The Gateway desktop I am having this problem with is hard wired into the modem and I also use a Dell laptop via wireless connection. I am having no problems with the laptop. I can access everything.

The problem actually seems to be getting worse by the day. The first day or so I was unable to access secured sites but then yesterday I couldn't get into my email account (although I could the previous day). I'm wondering if this is due to all the different things I've been trying? The Ask.com thing is really weird because I don't have that set up at all on my computer. What are you're thoughts about a system restore? I'm getting pretty frustrated with the whole ordeal and am ready to try anything. Thanks again.

#9 ·
a system restore is a good idea but its still unclear of the issue is OS related or network....

ok i would like you to do the next steps

first check for any add-ons for IS ( like yahoo tool bar) check add/remove programs and remove all extra applications ( like yahoo tool bar)

Also do you have any type of popup/av software?

If you do for now disable it, if its some types of norton you have to REMOVE it for it to stop trying to protect you

next step ensure all settings on IE are defaulted ( go to internet options>sec>set all zones to default)from there go to the advanced tab, and reset the advanced options

Test it....if it works good

if not move onto this

you will need to download a application called DR TCP/IP
once you have downloaded that, you will run it
select you network card, change the MTU to 1428
save and reboot

test again....

Post back

thanks
Wolf~

#10 ·
Still not able to log in to secure sites. I tried everything on your last message. Can you tell me how to do a system restore and what the consequences would be? I don't want to lose all my files and don't have an external hard drive to save everything on. Thanks.

#11 ·
Another piece of information. I cannot access these same sites using Mozilla either. I don't think it's a browser problem but something in my set up. I don't know if I mentioned that I ran a registry cleaner which I believe caused this problem. Working slow prior to the CCleaner but at least I could access everything. Since then, cannot access secure sites.

#13 ·
its going to be a MTU setting or a application stopping you.

check all you applactions if needed remove and test( as long as you can reinstall)

its going to be something along the lines of AV or popup blocking appliactions

or its a MTU....

you said you downloaded the dr tcp/ip and changed the MTU and it still didnt work?

Thank
Wolf~

#12 ·
Hi there,
It might be a firewall issue or your anti virus program blocking those sites. Do you have norton or mcafee? Try disabling them for a minute to test secure connections. If you are using a router it might need resetting. Did you try using a restore point on your computer?
Click on Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.