Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Unable delete DLL files..

This is a discussion on Unable delete DLL files.. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had uninstalled a software named Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum 3...!! After that, this software still remain some junk files... including

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I had uninstalled a software named Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum 3...!! After that, this software still remain some junk files... including a DLL file name "contexthandler.dll".

I try to delete file manually but it show a error "Access denied, Make that the disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use"

So i used ulitity program to check up this file and this file is opened by windows explorer (explorer.exe). So i already closing the explorer.exe by using windows task manager. Because of the explorer.exe had close, i can't access to the C:\program files so the one way i try is delete this DLL files by opening other program like>> example: windows media player.

under windows media player , i click file and open ... By using this way to search the file and delete it .... But the same problem still happened. Then i using the ulitity program to check again.. !! I realized that this file opened by "windows media player" There's no way to delete this file..!!

Oh my god... my head become pain...
Anyone can give ur opinion to fix up this problem....?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

Here is what MS say about your problem:
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you do not have the permissions necessary to delete the file under the NTFS file system.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, ask the administrator to grant the necessary permissions.

Does this apply to you?

Have you tried deleting it in Safe mode?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteSniper22
I had uninstalled a software named Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum 3...!! After that, this software still remain some junk files... including a DLL file name "contexthandler.dll".

I try to delete file manually but it show a error "Access denied, Make that the disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use"

So i used ulitity program to check up this file and this file is opened by windows explorer (explorer.exe). So i already closing the explorer.exe by using windows task manager. Because of the explorer.exe had close, i can't access to the C:\program files so the one way i try is delete this DLL files by opening other program like>> example: windows media player.

under windows media player , i click file and open ... By using this way to search the file and delete it .... But the same problem still happened. Then i using the ulitity program to check again.. !! I realized that this file opened by "windows media player" There's no way to delete this file..!!

Oh my god... my head become pain...
Anyone can give ur opinion to fix up this problem....?
Reboots are usually required to unlock some .dll files...especially context menu handlers...try rebooting and deleting them (they may automatically get deleted during the reboot process).

Failing that, download and install Unlocker:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Right click on the files in question and select Unlocker, scroll to Delete then select 'Unlock All'...should solve the problem :-)