Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble with Wake on Ring, Wake on LAN and Standby - Sleep - Suspend

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  glnz 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Optiplex 755 with WinXPPro SP3, 2GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, and it is unreliable for Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring. I also wonder whether my Standby - Sleep - Suspend (S1 or S3) is working correctly.

When the PC is in Standby - Sleep - Suspend mode (S1 or S3), Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring work some of the time but not all of the time, and I'd like them to be 100% reliable.

These may be two different problems, but your advice will be appreciated. (Also, if I should post in a different forum, please advise.)

My Network Card is an Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection, and I recently upgraded its drivers using "generic" PROXP.exe from the Intel website, although this has not helped the problem. The specific driver file e1e5132.sys is now from 2009 -- it used to be from 2007. But, as I say, Wake on LAN from Standby was not and is still not reliable, both before and after the driver update.

In Settings .. Network Connections ... Local Area Connections ... Properties ... Configure ... Power Management, all the Wake on LAN options are checked ON:

- Wake on Directed Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet
- Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off State
- Wake on Link

The NIC card's Diagnostic checks are all OK.

My fax modem card is a Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem, and I have the most recent drivers dated 7/27/07, version 7.67.0.50. In Settings ... Phone and Modem Options ... Modems ... Properties, "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" is checked ON. The MS fax service is configured to answer on zero or one rings.

And I have the same problems regardless of my Screensaver or Power Management settings. (The PC is NOT set to go into Hibernate ever. I have experimented with various settings for Standby, Monitor Off and Hard Disk Drive off, but the problem stays the same regardless, and also appears if I put the PC into Standby manually.)

My Dell BIOS version is A15, the latest for this PC. I have a choice of S1 or S3 for Standby, but the problems are the same regardless which one I choose.

What to do? If it's a BIOS problem, how can I fix?

Another post suggested I stop using ACPI for Power Management and let Windows run Power Management. However, there is no choice in Settings or the BIOS to do that, at least none that I have found.

More symptoms: On this PC I also have LogMeInFree version 4. Just recently, the problems with Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring seemed to go away, but I noticed that the PC was no longer really going to sleep during Standby. When this Dell is in Standby, its power light should blink. I saw that the light would start blinking but then go solid again, and although the monitor stayed dark, the PC certainly "felt" awake. So, I checked some of the log files in LogMeInFree and saw indications that LogMeInFree was reaching out for power every few seconds over and over. So all this past weekend, I exited out of LogMeInFree, saw the PC go into GOOD standby (blinking power light) but my Wake on Ring problem came back. I think the LogMeInFree problem is separate and had the perverse result of hiding my Wake on Ring and Wake on LAN problems, which return when LogMeInFree is off, but thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for your thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
More to above: Dell has suggested I must re-install Windows. I've never done that, and I realize I'd probably lose all my applications and data - no good. Seems to me that's like using an atomic bomb to kill a mosquito. And why should I assume that will work?

But is there a way to re-install -- or maybe fix -- Windows that leaves everything else safe?

FYI - About a month or so ago, I ran SFC (System File Checker) in repair mode, and that didn't help with this problem.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.