Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble connecting to internet after XP reinstall

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Honkbag 
#1 ·
So, I just reinstalled Windows XP on my old computer (a Dell Dimensions 4600) and I'm trying to connect to the internet using a Cable Modem (RCA DCM325). I reinstalled the NIC driver, and Network Connections is telling me that I'm connected (and I have an IP number, etc), but when I open a browser or other program that requires a connection, I get an error saying that I'm not connected.

I'm certain that it isn't the modem, as I'm using the same modem on the computer that I'm using to type this, and it obviously works fine.

I have the feeling that I'm missing something very obvious, but I'm not sure what. :(

Any help would be very much appreciated

#3 ·
hi, in itnernet explorer, click on tool, internetoption, connection, lan settings, check auto detec settings or type the proxy if you are using one.
click start run type cmd

in cmd tpye ipconfig/release
waite for a while
then ipconfig /all with a space.
hope it works reply if it doesn't

#4 ·
By chance have you tried to reboot the modem yet? Unplug your modem from wall outlet, also unplug the phone line to your PC, and turn off PC. Plug modem back in first and allow it to completely boot up, and then plugging phone line back in to PC, turn Pc on.

Also you might want to attempt this- Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and uncheck all boxes. ICS sometimes erroneously checks the Use proxy server box.

#6 ·
Are you able to ping any websites?

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
cmd
- Click OK
- This will launch your Command Prompt. At the flashing cursor, type:
ping www.google.com
- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Please post the results

Also, when the ping test finishes, keep the Command Prompt open and type the following at the flashing cursor:
ipconfig /all
Hit Enter, does it show a valid IP address?

#7 ·
I tried to ping google, and was unable to...it gave me an error message telling me to make sure that the url was correct.

When I typed in ipconfic/all, IP routing wasn't enabled, neither was Wins Proxy...the IP address came back as 0.0.0.0.

I checked the "Support" bar in Local Area Connection Status, though, and it had a valid IP.

Thanks again, for the help. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.