Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

TrendMicro's Housecall: Odd "Conflict.1" folder in my \Windows folder

This is a discussion on TrendMicro's Housecall: Odd "Conflict.1" folder in my \Windows folder within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My TrendMicro breaks all the time. I've Googled and it seems no one else has this problem. It worked fine

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #1

My TrendMicro breaks all the time. I've Googled and it seems no one else has this problem. It worked fine last week, last night it wouldn't work; it get's stuck on the "Preparing" stage and never initiates a scan. I let it run overnight and it did nothing.

Thinking I could uninstall, then reinstall I just now used RegSeeker to find all Registry Entries with the text "Housecall" in them. The idea was to delete all references to the Housecall Installation (if you can call it that; it's an ActiveX application), and then reinstall. (Note: It also goes bad in the Java version two, both in IE7 and Mozilla)

The RegSeeker window shows several Registry Entries that have the address "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.1\Housecall_ActiveX.dll", and I noticed the "conflict.1" which seemed odd so I tried to navigate there. I have system and hidden files show, and I am the Admin, so I should be seeing everything, but there is no "conflict.1" folder in the "Downloaded Program Files" folder.

But if I do a Windows (not command line DOS) search of the text "conflict.1", it shows the "housecall_activex.dll" file, but it's NOT in a "conflict.1" folder, it's in the "Downloaded Program Files" folder". I can't see any evidence of "conflict.1" 's existance except for the registry.

So I'm very puzzled on what this means (if anything). Could this be malware from the numerous infected HD's I scan ? Data corruption ? Does Housecall (free) break if you use it too often ?

Any explanations ? Theories ? Ideas ?

Anyone know anything about this at all ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

Try the 'fix' outlined here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f58/...dll-27599.html

It may well be that the cache didn't get purged when some baddies were removed.