Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

This application has failed to start because msi.dll was not found.

This is a discussion on This application has failed to start because msi.dll was not found. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday I tried to uninstall a program and I get this message The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday I tried to uninstall a program and I get this message

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

So I went to this Microsoft page : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
and I followed the instructions of method 2 (Reinstall the Windows Installer)

I followed all the steps but after step 7, no command prompt appeared, so I proceed and restarted my computer.
After that, I downloaded WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe from the Microsoft website and install it then restart my computer again.

Now, when I log on to my computer, I get several notices that some files are missing, those being the ones that was involved when I followed Method 2. (I will tell you the names of those files later because I have already closed those windows.)

When I enter Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel the Add/Remove programs window doesn't pop up anymore.

And when I try to install/uninstall a program I get this message :

This application has failed to start because msi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I hope that someone can help me out. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Put your XP CD into the drive and click on "start|run". Type (no quotes) "sfc /scannow" and press enter. This invokes the system file checker and will examine all your Windows files to see if they are corrupt or missing - and it will reinstall any it finds suspect.

If that "fixes" the problem then run Windows update for obvious reasons.

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Closed Thread