Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installi

This is a discussion on This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installi within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just purchased this little Acer notebook (mini laptop) from a friend of a friend, and I am getting this

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I just purchased this little Acer notebook (mini laptop) from a friend of a friend, and I am getting this message (This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.) First of all when I purchased it, I brought it home and I could not connect to wifi, but it was fine through ethernet, so i dealt with it. Now I have moved to another city to a relatives house and even though my computer says its connected and excellent, my computer still comes up with an error message, saying that there is a problem and I cant connect.
So I tried to solve the problem by taking a friends advice () and I did a system restore to Dec 31st 2011, when I knew I had just bought it. That is where this new message about the iertutil.dll came up.
The following is all I can do with my computer:

_turn on power
_Acer window comes up with a pic of 2 mini laptops with an option to press F12 or F2
_Windows XP Log In page comes up with prompt for my password
_I enter my password
_I press enter
_Immediately comes up Explorer.EXE - Unable to locate component
_And then right back to the pic of the two mini laptops with no options, just a blank screen, and control of the mouse.

I am NOT computer savvy WHAT SO EVER!

I would really appreciate some help

but in "simpleton" terms

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

On another computer with internet access download iertutil.dll file. Unzip the folder and save it to a USB Flash Drive. On the troubled computer put the flash drive in. At the blank desktop, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and start the Task Manager/File/New Task (Run) Browse to the Flash drive and copy the iertutil.dll. then browse to C:\Windows\system32 and Paste the iertutil.dll file into it. Confirm if it asks you to overwrite a file. Now Restart the computer.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
On another computer with internet access download iertutil.dll file. Unzip the folder and save it to a USB Flash Drive. On the troubled computer put the flash drive in. At the blank desktop, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and start the Task Manager/File/New Task (Run) Browse to the Flash drive and copy the iertutil.dll. then browse to C:\Windows\system32 and Paste the iertutil.dll file into it. Confirm if it asks you to overwrite a file. Now Restart the computer.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.funk, I will try that now, and get back to you to let you know how it went. Thank you so much for your quick reply :)

R Sheppard