Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

"...The memory could not be read..." and other errors on shutdown

This is a discussion on "...The memory could not be read..." and other errors on shutdown within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have Windows XP SP3. And recently my mom's (windows account) has had errors when shutting down the PC.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi. I have Windows XP SP3. And recently my mom's (windows account) has had errors when shutting down the PC. They occur at random times, though, so we can't pinpoint the issue. It sometimes says:

"The instruction at '0x7c9109f9' referenced memory at '0x00000067'. The memory could not be 'read'. Check OK to terminate the program."

And sometimes something about MCI handling. I think I've only encountered this problem once, I can't remember. But it's bothering my mom when she's using her account almost everyday during shutdown.

I'd practically ignore it if it would show up again since I've maintained this computer pretty well ever since. I have KIS 2011 and that's it.

I have the latest Combofix and HijackThis ready, so fire away. I appreciate you reading this and any help you could give. Thank you.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

That can often be memory faults . . Probably worth testing your memory . . click on the link to Memtest in my signature . . let it run on one stick at a time overnite or until it starts reporting errors

How to burn an ISO file:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File

Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Hello Crashhh, welcome to TSF!

I'd also recommend doing what Old Rich stated above. If the overnight memory test doesn't turn up any problems, you should try removing and re-inserting your RAM chips. Potentially loose chips due to moving the system or due to chip creeping might be the cause, but remounting them firmly will put this possibility aside if the problem still persists.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey, thanks Old Rich and Ninjaboi. I never thought this could be a hardware issue. Well, I installed a new 2gb RAM, exactly the same (brand, speed) as my initial RAM a couple of months ago, so this might really be the issue.

Well, I have an Ubuntu live CD on a flash disk, also a wubi installed Ubuntu on my system. I know there's a memtest on that, could I use that, too? And in case I see any errors after, what should I do aside from reinstalling the memory? Thanks a lot for the help and for the warm welcome. :)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Once you narrow down which stick(s) are faulty, replacement is the solution
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, I got it. I have some questions before I proceed.

1) Should I try to unplug-replug my sticks first and do the memtest only if the errors persist?

2) Do I need to retain only 1 of my 2 sticks while doing the memtest?

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Reseating the sticks is always agood troubleshooting step .. run memtest on one stick at a time overnite or until it reports errors
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok, will do. Thank you so much Rich. :)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Let us know how it goes
Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hey, sorry it's only now that I'm able to reply. These are what I've done:

1) Removed, cleaned the sticks and their slots, put them back in. Went ok for several days, then the shutdown errors appeared again.

2) So I removed the new stick (2gb), and retained my old one (1gb). Mom used it for some photoshop action. Was slow as hell, no errors there. Though I admit the test was for just a short time.

3) Then I removed the 1gb stick, and placed the 2gb stick on the 1gb stick's original slot. Did the memtest overnight which ran for 5.5 hours, 7 passes, 0 errors.

I will be testing the 1gb stick but I need to know, would the slots have anything to do with these errors also? Thanks again for reading this and for an help.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Untill you run the diagnostics, it would just be guessing
Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Yes, to be absolutely sure, move the RAM sticks around in the slots and run Memtest with one stick of RAM at a time. You can also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness in my signature and burn that image with IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Extended tests. If there are too many errors or it fails, then the HDD needs to be replaced
Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Well, the only reason I'm asking is should it matter if I insert the other stick in slot 0, or in slot 1? Or would it even matter?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

Hey spunk.funk, thanks, that answered it. I'll try and do tests like you said and update what happens after. Thank you.