Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" PartitionError!

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  intisab 
#1 ·
"The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" PartitionError!

errr... i don't really know how to describe this, but my computer is *really* lagging. Takes more than 20 minutes to start-up then lags like hell. Not a constant slowing, but like.. one instant it's totally normal than the next it freezes for half a minute then goes back to normal. When it freezes, the mouse can move but nothing responds. Task manager won't run when it freezes either. This is really frustrating, it takes just as long to startup in safe mode, which doesnt help much. Any help please? @_@

Regards,
tofuking

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: HELP, computer REALLY REALLY LAGS (eg: 20 minutes startup @_@) was fine yesterday

um now it doesn't lag unless i use windows explorer, and... there's a pretty bad problem,
my computer has 1 hard disk, 2 partitions, C and E, windows is on C, and E is all my personal stuff.
Now, when i run my E drive from the start menu > run or just from My Computer, it says the drive isn't formatted and prompts me to format it. any idea?

#3 ·
Re: HELP, computer REALLY REALLY LAGS (eg: 20 minutes startup @_@) was fine yesterday

Try starting in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 when computer first begins to start- then select Safe Mode)

If it boots fine and works regular- back up all your personal stuff asap.

Please give some details as to your system specs:
How old
processor speed
amount of memory

Did you install / download anything recently?

It is possible that the hard drive may be failing or that some virus or some other bad stuff got ahold of your computer. In the event that it is a virus or something you downloaded/installed- you could do a System Restore (If you are using windows XP as listed in your signature). System Restore would re-set the computer to a point before these problems occured. If it is a failing drive- this will not help.

Andy

#4 ·

i tried in safe mode, but it takes ages to startup, as in about 20 mins - half an hour.
um it's about 3-4 years old, 2.01 Ghz, 1 gig of ram and a 200 gigabyte hard disk, split into 2 partitions C and E, 40 and 160 gigs respectively.
Recently.. haven't downloaded anything major, just a little video game emulator (under 600kb).

the main problem seems to be, when i run the e drive, i get:
"The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Right now, i'm fiddling with "testdisk" but i'm not too good with the in-depth partition-y stuff, so i dare not press any buttons yet.

#7 ·
Re: "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" PartitionEr

errr... i don't really know how to describe this, but my computer is *really* lagging. Takes more than 20 minutes to start-up then lags like hell. Not a constant slowing, but like.. one instant it's totally normal than the next it freezes for half a minute then goes back to normal. When it freezes, the mouse can move but nothing responds. Task manager won't run when it freezes either. This is really frustrating, it takes just as long to startup in safe mode, which doesnt help much. Any help please? @_@

Regards,
tofuking
i had the same problem and it turned out to br my HD, the HD actually turns on and off and thats why ur system freezes. i completely formatted my drive but the problem still remained so i got a new HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.