Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.

This is a discussion on The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. While trying to find out why my XP Pro machine takes so long to shut-down & start up (it just

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #1

While trying to find out why my XP Pro machine takes so long to shut-down & start up (it just started doing this a few weeks ago), I found an entry in the Event Viewer that may explain it:

Quote:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was: 0x000000ea (0x877d9b98, 0x879837b0, 0xbacffcbc, 0x00000001). A full dump was not saved.
I read a page on MS's site that said you could read the dumpchk file and use it's code to associate it to a particular (usually) driver that is causing the fault, but I am unable to get the machine to actually save a .dmp file.

I have gone to the Startup & Recovery>Settings page and changed the configuration every which way, but can still find no dumpfile anywhere on the hardrive.

I suspect this is because last week I was trying to remove an MSCONFIG entry "dumprep" that would not go away, and I think I modified the registry in order to do so. (But that didn't work either, the "dumprep" entry remains in my MSCONFIG file.

How can I get my computer to create and save a dump file ?

Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the error usually relates to the nvidia driver

Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

ok make a folder called mini dump in the c:windows dir... then go to this site http://www.alexander.com/download/sampledump.zip save it to your desktop extract the file place it in the folder you made then make sure you have the setting where you went put the config to the way they were and next time it crashes it will overwrite the minidump with the new one you can tell by the name of the dump file it goes like this 111506.dmp is 11/15/06
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #4

dai, I don't think I have any nVidia hardware (like a driver or northbridge) on this computer, but will check.

so daniel you are thinking the reason why the dump file isn't saving is because there isn't already one there ?

I'll try it & report back...

EDIT***
I had a minidump directory in C:\Windows already, but it was empty. Downloading the sample file now. I'll uncompress it, reboot & report back. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what video card do you have
turn off the auto reboot and post the bsod erro message you receive in full
control panel/system/advanced/system settings
untick the auto reboot box
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #6

Adding the miniboot file didn't "massage" this thing into working.

dai, my hardware is:

Video: Integrated ATI Radeon X300 GPU
Northbridge: ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Southbridge: ATI SB450

Since none of these are nVidia, I don't think thre could be any nVidia hardware on my system.

Even though it says (the system) is being "rebooted from a bugcheck", there is no BSOD. It shuts down "normally", it just takes about 25 seconds to shut down (and another 25 seconds longer to start back up again).

I think this extra minute is due to some type of error, and the time it takes to "report" it, etc... Yet I can't get any kind of report in order to troubleshoot.

In case anyone suggests:
I've ran chkdsk, so no HD errors. I've "scrubbed" the HD using AVG, Ewido, Trendmicro and (running right now) Kaspersky, and my HJT log looks clean (I am very familiar with it.) All temps & voltages are normal.

I think I am going to uninstall Diskeeper and see if the problem goes away.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girderman View Post
I am unable to get the machine to actually save a .dmp file.
Windows does not save memory dump file after a crash
Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
The Memory.dmp file already exists and the option Overwrite Any Existing File (found in Control Panel System) is not selected. It is a good idea to leave this box checked and to move or copy the current Memory.dmp file.
Quote:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ea (0x877d9b98, 0x879837b0, 0xbacffcbc, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\new.DMP
There's no worries, Angel-Face
Zazula's here, he's on the CASE!
And when your back's against the wall
Zazula makes your problem SOLVED !
Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

turn off the auto reboot
Old 11-18-2006, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\new.DMP
So, do you wanna learn how to read this dump or have you already done that?

(Thanks for the poetic elation, by the way...)
Old 11-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #11

It was the oddest thing. As soon as it was able to write a dump file, it didn't want to any more. I quit seeing the Warning entries in Event Log.

Also (the ultimate cause of it all) the "dumprep...." entry in my MSCONFIG file also went away, FINALLY.

I think the only reason the system was having a fit because it couldn't write a log file.

I would have rhymed more but couldn't think of a good enough rhyme between "Zazula" and "EULA".
Old 11-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
It was the oddest thing. As soon as it was able to write a dump file, it didn't want to any more. I quit seeing the Warning entries in Event Log.

Also (the ultimate cause of it all) the "dumprep...." entry in my MSCONFIG file also went away, FINALLY.

I think the only reason the system was having a fit because it couldn't write a log file.
I'm really glad you sorted it out, Girderman - cheers!

Your case echoes like chkdsk loops when the chkdsk cannot successfully conclude.

Quote:
I would have rhymed more but couldn't think of a good enough rhyme between "Zazula" and "EULA".
Well, yeah, they've even done that: http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...tml#post696003