Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files screwed

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  breakerfall 
#1 ·
Theres a known issue with windows that once the temporary internet files gets too large, aspects of IE stop working (View source, open from location etc) as no more files can be written. Every few months when I hit around 400-500Mb of temporary files this used to happen to me, simply deleting them all solved the problem until it got too big again.

Unfortunately something weird has started to happen with mine, every time I reboot View Source loses functionality as does open from location... Its just happened to me again a few mintues ago, and I only have 2.1Mb of temporary files. I cleared it, and it started working again.

I don't really want to have to clear the files every time I reboot, is there any way I can fix it permenantly?

#4 ·
Since there's no files to write to the "Temporary Internet Files" folder,
there won't be no overflow, which is the reason for your problem.

I'm assuming that you have an original XP installation (?), go online and download any available patches

#5 ·
I'm running XP Pro SP1 with the latest version of IE (Released yesterday). Also your suggestion is impossible to do as windows will not allow a value of less than 1Mb for temporary internet files, as I said in my last post this would make it impossible for sites to be loaded at all.

#6 ·
this would make it impossible for sites to be loaded at all
If by "loaded" you mean "the website being displayed on the screen",
let me tell you that websites will be loaded perfectly, with no problems,
it's just the files won't be stored on your "Temporary Internet Files".

If by "loaded" you mean "the websites' source code being stored on your computer"
let me tell you that when you click on "view" > "source" to open the website's source code,
the file is NOT stored on your "Temporary Internet Files" folder, instead, is stored on the folder
indicated on the "TMP" environmental variable. I guess you know how to set Envir. Variables (?)

--/--

From M$ site:

•PROBLEM: Source Code Is Not Displayed When You Click Source on the View Menu in Internet Explorer
•CAUSE: This behavior may occur if there are too many files in the Temporary Internet Files folder or if Notepad.exe is missing or damaged.

The Link:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907

I repeat, set it to 1MB, you will be okay after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.