Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

System Volume Information folder is empty

7K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Frank D 
#1 · (Edited)
Note: See Additional Information at the bottom first.

This is not an emergency at this time. I'm trying to understand it for future use, when it /could/ be an emergency.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 (FAT32, not NTFS). When following Charlie White's "Windows Crashed? Here's Help" tutorial (3/14/02) [http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658] to restore my crashed C: drive, I came to the part where he says "Open the System Volume Information folder." However, when I opened it, it was empty! I have done this same procedure before, and the folder was loaded with files, which I used as instructed in the tutorial, but this time the folder was empty. Somehow these files seem to have been deleted.

Here are the relevant instructions:
===============
1. Open My Computer
2. Click on the Tools menu, then click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Under Hidden files and folders, click to select Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
5. Click Yes when the dialog box that confirms that you want to display these files appears.
In My Computer, Double-click the drive where you installed Windows XP (usually Drive C) to display a list of the folders. then double-click on the "System Volume Information" folder. This folder contains the system restore points stored on your computer. The folders will look similar to this:
_restore{EE42BEB8-700A-495F-8004-53D26C2E12C5}
=================

I /do/ have administrative rights, and the folder is not hidden. I can see the folder, and when I open it, it is empty.

New software I've installed in the past three months are (starting with the latest): Trend Micro's Hijack This, Ahead's Nero (v6 which came with a CD drive), Windows Installer Cleanup, a-squared free, TrayIt!, WMA Cutter-Joiner, HDD Health, Ultra Defrag, and WinSize. I've also downloaded and installed all the Windows Update files for my system.

I've run multiple scans with AVG Anti-Virus (free), AVG Anti-Spyware (free), Ad-Aware (free), SpyBot S&D, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, and Panda online scan. They collectively found "traces" in cookies, which I deleted. Nothing substantial.

Now here's a strange thing: When I reached this part in the instructions and couldn't go any further, I thought I was sunk, so in desperation I simply tried running System Restore -- AND IT WORKED!!!

I am now using my restored C: drive as I type this.

Here are my questions:
1: Why did Charlie White only put in the instructions to do it the hard way (it takes a lot of typing, cutting and pasting), if System Restore is available at this point, as it was for me? He could have suggested trying it /if/ it was available, but there is no mention of using System Restore, which saved the day for me.

2: I'm thinking about the next time. Where did the folder contents go, and why aren't they there as they should be and were before? And how can I get them back, short of reinstalling Windows?

Thank you for any insights.

Frank D

Additional information: I made a mistake in thinking I had unchecked the "Hide protected operating system files" check box, when I had only selected the "Show hidden files and folders" option. So, my Question 2 has been answered: the folder wasn't empty, the files were just not being displayed. However, my Question 1 still stands. Why not use System Restore if it's there and it works?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.