Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

System Restore(How to restore to 6 months or more restoration point)

This is a discussion on System Restore(How to restore to 6 months or more restoration point) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I need guidance regarding how to do system restore to a restore point 6 months or even older.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Twisted

Hello everyone,

I need guidance regarding how to do system restore to a restore point 6 months or even older.

Os i have: xp sp3

Around about 2 weeks back i upgraded my system to sp3 for that i created system restore point.

But the problem is when i go to do system restore it doesn't show me the restoration point about 2 weeks old in the list rather it only shows and allows to new restore points created within 5-6 days and that does not include that restore point which i created b4 sp3 installation.

So.Is there a way to do system restore to a restore point 6 months or even older? does window allows it or any third party software which helps me retain older restore points?

Note-i tried doing it via safe mode also but didn't helped, also the space alloted for system restore is maxed out.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

System Restore was never designed to reverse the major changes made by a a service pack update. For that reason all prior restore points will be deleted.

System Restore works best when used as soon as possible after a problem develops. On the few occasions I have used the feature it has always been with the most recent restore point. The further back you go the more likely the restore will fail or cause more problems than it solves. Going back 6 months is almost certain to fail. System Restore was never designed for that.

Why do you need to go back that far? There is almost certain to be a better way.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You can adjust how much space you use for System Restore, if you have more HDD space, you can increase it.
If you want to go back to a time before you installed SP3, you can uninstall it in Add Remove Programs.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
System Restore was never designed to reverse the major changes made by a a service pack update. For that reason all prior restore points will be deleted.

System Restore works best when used as soon as possible after a problem develops. On the few occasions I have used the feature it has always been with the most recent restore point. The further back you go the more likely the restore will fail or cause more problems than it solves. Going back 6 months is almost certain to fail. System Restore was never designed for that.

Why do you need to go back that far? There is almost certain to be a better way.
Ok thanks for that info
but do u know of any third party software that can maintain restore points not for 6 months ,lets say for a month atleast?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You can adjust how much space you use for System Restore, if you have more HDD space, you can increase it.
If you want to go back to a time before you installed SP3, you can uninstall it in Add Remove Programs.

thanks,

hmm 1 question, does deleting sp3 from add and remove will completely negates all the changes it might have made to the system or some changes stay hidden foreever?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you uninstall SP3 (not recommended) it will remove the changes since the SP was installed. The best way to revert back to a time when your computer was working good, is when you get to a place where your computer is running great, clone the HDD to a USB HDD. As time goes on, if you get a virus or some other problem, and you want to revert the system, you can restore the clone to your computer to take you back to that time when the computer was last cloned.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktsf View Post
Ok thanks for that info
but do u know of any third party software that can maintain restore points not for 6 months ,lets say for a month atleast?
any good software anybody know of
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
CCT
Helper

I would think you could just create a NEW Restore Point, then copy the System Volume Information folder to a flash drive in a folder with that date.

Sounds plausible.