Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

system recovery using recovery partition

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the fourms here, i hope to be a contrubuiting member :). Anyways, onto my dilema....

I had recently purchased a new Emachines C6207 for a client of mine, however the machine only comes with XP Home on it, the machine is being used for card access so I needed to install XP professional onto it. Well, I went out, purchased the upgrade, and well...being the man that i am, I completly disreguarded the little set of instructions that said "please insert the upgrade disk After the computer has started up", Soo, what I did was, I inserted the disk before it started up, went into the windows installiation screen, and installed it onto the main partition, there were two partitions by the way, one of them (one i left alone) was a partition housing the recovery-cd information, see emachines does not give you a copy of the recovery cd's, instead you need to make your own with a program emachine's provides with the system.

(please note that i did not reformat the partition completly, so i didn't reformat it to ntfs, i left it as so and just overwritten the OS files.) now when i boot the computer it says:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll
please re-install a copy of the above file."

so im basicly screwed, I have a copy of ERD Commander (like a system utilities bootable enviroment) and theres a nifty program on it to assist in restoring the system back to a previous wipe, it specificaly says "incase of an accidently reformatt" but im not sure what to do with the files it finds, some are orphaned and whatnot...just clueless here.

Anyways, emachines is shipping me a set of recovery cds which should be here in 3-5 days....which isn't good for me because without this pc the building is well....defenceless in terms of door security...

So heres what I was thinking, what if i install a copy of windows home or professional, i have a few copies laying around but the product keys has been registered, so the purpose of me doing this would just be so i can have some sort of OS to do the following.....

since the recovery partition is still intact, Does anyone here know of a way that I can somehow access the files on this partition to make the restore cd's? the phone-tech person said that i can not do this,they are bootable files/iso's. but that doesn't mean that Someone outthere might know something..

any help is GREATLY appreciated,

thank you.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.