Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

System Idle Process ???

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  zraupp10 
#1 · (Edited)
what is System Idle Process ??? it is making my pc like freeze for like 30 sec when gaming , and when surfing the web,
System Idle Process CPU usage: LOW 41 HIGH 99 average: 84/94 (jumps)
it makes me want to throw my pc out the window !

i have has this PC for 5? years now and JUST now its doing this, I updated everything, even the BIOS still no help, HELP!?!

ASUS A8M2N-LA
AMD Athlon 64x2 4600+ @2.4GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520
2GB DDr2 @ 300.7 MHz
XFX GTS 250 CE 512MB
Thermaltake Black mouse
Ultra LS 600w

#2 ·
The System Idle Process isn't a real process. For practical purposes it is simply a placeholder showing CPU time that is not being used. It cannot possibly be the cause of your problems. It is possible to have a system that freezes or becomes unresponsive while CPU usage remains low. One possibility is that the system is overheating. Be sure that all fans are operating, free of dust buildup, and external vents are not obstructed.

#4 ·
As LMiller7 said, the System Idle process would not cause this and it really is your friend. Your system needs something to keep it ticking when nothing much is going on (by system I mean scheduler and other bits, but yea, let's not go into this).

You update everything, even BIOS? So you flashed your BIOS? Why? It is never a good idea to flash a BIOS with a different/latest version unless you have a problem.

Onto the issue...

If you have had your system for 5 years, then it is definitely going to be something else. As Kevin-J said, give your system a good defrag. Before this however, run a cleaning utility and get rid of junk files. (Disk-cleanup and CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download should do). Instead of using the default Windows defrag, you can use Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download, but really any will do, just defrag your system.

Also, a hard drive that is full could be the cause, so uninstall some programs (if nearly full).

Another cause could be hardware related, but it is pointless pondering this potentially bad and costly cause, without first trying the above.

#5 ·
I agree with Stephen and Kevin. I was able to really improve the performance of a pretty old laptop by doing some scans and cleanup (really trimmed down the startup list, uninstalled a lot of unwanted programs and also ran a diskcleanup wth CCleaner). Defragged with Diskeeper (which did a really good job) as the free space was still below 15% and after that there was a big improvement. I would also recommend defragging your system files if required.

#6 · (Edited)
it shouldn't be overheating,
CPUID Hardware Monitor:
IDLE: 30*c Load: under 60*c

AMD says MAX temp for CPU is 70*c

for the cleaning of the fans ect: it is 6 days past its clean date,
clean it every month on the 1st....

and for the defrag, I do that Daly

and for CCleaner, i have that, haven't used it in months, will check for update, and scan,

#7 ·
if your having problems with anything then I would think its the Ultra power supply you have. They are just about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to power supplies. I can't use bad language on here to describe ultra but it begins with S

#8 · (Edited)
really? well i needed a power supply and all i had was $50 and that power supply was $46 shipped, i have $ now, ive been thinking of the power, was looking @ XFX 650w i hear XFX power supplies are good, but this one doesn't look that read in its reviews.

it will take all my $, Newegg.com - XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply well most of it. I have $95 But i can't spend it all....

I hear SeaSonic is good, but it will take all my $
Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

#9 ·
never skimp on a power supply it is the most important part of your computer. I would suggest a corsair 550vx for your system or if you intend you upgrade the graphics card in the future a corsair 650TX or seasonic m12 700

#19 ·
i'm going to talk to my dad for some $ and i'll get the SeaSonic 650W 80PLUS GOLD $146 and maybe another stick or 2 of 1GB DDr2 667..

i will post if getting a new powersupply help this issue when i can... thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.