Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

SVCHOST.exe using 98% CPU and 101 MB Memory

This is a discussion on SVCHOST.exe using 98% CPU and 101 MB Memory within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just today I logged on my computer and my computer barely started up before it started acting like it was

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just today I logged on my computer and my computer barely started up before it started acting like it was an old Pentium processor with 32 MB of RAM. So I immediately hit Ctrl Alt Del to bring up Task Manager to see what was messing up my system so bad. It took about 5 minutes to come up because my computer was being sooooo slow! Then when it came up I realized that one of the many SVCHOST.exe processes was using 98-100% of my CPU and was using 101,000 K of Memory. This was really awkward because the day before I had been using the computer and I usually take good care of it by getting constant updates, firmware, anti-spyware, anti-virus updates, and constantly doing anti-virus and anti-virus scans. So, I would say that there is probably at least an 80% chance that this is system related and not due to a virus,spyware,trojan,worm... etc. I used Norton Anti-Virus 2006 with recent updates and Ad-Aware SE Personal to do the scans. Nothing turned up. So I don't think the SVCHOST.exe program is a threat posing as a microsoft process. But there's always that small possibility. So far, I haven't been able to start up my computer without this SVCHOST.exe starting up and taking up alot of my computer's CPU power. I did msconfig and disabled just about everything unnecessary, and even Norton Anti-Virus itself to see if maybe this was causing even more lag. But it hasn't done any good. How am I going to disable this system process if it's "essential" to my computer's startup? However I'd rather that the process just stopped using so much of my computer's power.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Svchost maxing CPU usage is a common problem we already discussed a lot on this forum.

Have a look at those threads, you may find useful information in them :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ed-151907.html
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ms-149864.html
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...xe-124113.html

Svchost.exe processes are processes that house several other services. Download and run tasklist to identify what are the exact services behind the svchost.exe that's maxing up your CPU usage, this will help us troubleshoot your problem. You'll have to run a command prompt (start => run, type cmd), then go to the directory where you saved tasklist.exe (type cd followed by the directory name to navigate to that directory) and run "tasklist /svc" (without the quotes).

Does the problem happen also when you start in safe mode ? Do you have all the latest critical updates from windows update ?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The procedure can be a little complicated if you're not used to it, so I guess I should provide more details :

To isolate the svchost.exe that's maxing up your cpu usage, begin by running tasklist /V. This will show you a verbose list of all the processes including the amount of memory they use. Note the PID number corresponding to the svchost.exe process that's using the most memory.

Then rerun tasklist /svc which will show you all services hidden behind the different svchost.exe processes. Use the PID number to identify the one that's maxing your CPU usage and report here with the corresponding services.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I bring this quote from ice_glitch from this other thread since it adds some informations :
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_glitch View Post
I also have this problem on startup, and notice that my sound stops working. Although I have been able to re-enable the sound after startup by going to Computer Management and Starting the Windows Audio process.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I had just enough time before my computer froze up to see what this certain SVCHOST.exe runs... out of the many SVCHOST.exe's. Anyway... the one that is hogging my CPU time runs these "Services" :

AudioSrv, Browser, Dhcp, ERSvc, EventSystem, FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc, HidServ, lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Messenger, Netman, Nla, RasMan, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, w32time, winmgmt, wuauserv

Sorry I can't get a screenshot of it. But it froze and now I'm using another computer to write this. I might add that the "Messenger" program is the Windows Live Messenger Beta (The new version of MSN Messenger).
Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

I might add that I did a startup in Safe Mode and as far as I can tell my CPU did not lag because of svchost.exe. However, I cannot prove this because I was not able to open Task Manager to see the stats. Because, for some reason, when I startup in Safe Mode, my keyboard seems to act as though disabled, so I couldn't use Ctrl Alt Del to see Task Manager. But my guess would be that SVCHOST.exe didn't lag my computer in Safe Mode, because I just did several things while in safe mode to see if it would slow down any bit and as far as I could tell it was normal.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

No luck, seems it's always the one svchost.exe housing the most services that's in cause with that kind of problems. You could try to google those services and see which ones are safe to disable, then disable those ones in the services manager (run => services.msc, right click on a service => properties => change startup type to manual or disabled) and see if you can identify the one failing : if the computer boots normally after you disabled one service then you would likely have found the one failing. But that can be a long process.

When did the problem start happening ? If it was after you installed a specific software, you could uninstall that software and see if that resolves your problem. You can uninstall windows messenger from the add/remove utility if you choose "add/remove windows components" on the left.

Repeatedly press the F8 key during computer startup to bring up a menu with the option to load the "last known good configuration". Try that and see if that solves the problem. If that restore point didn't help, you can run system restore from within XP (accessories => system tools) and choose an older restore point. Be aware that you'll probably have to reinstall every program or update you installed since the chosen date.

Edit : just saw your last post, is your keyboard an usb keyboard ? It should work fine in safe mode... Try to get a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works. Else you can bring up task manager using only your mouse by navigating to windows\system32\ and double-clicking taskmgr.exe (to be able to browse the windows folder you'll need to uncheck "hide operating system protected files" in windows explorer => tools => folder options => view).
Old 05-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

The problem seemed to have just happened upon restart. The night before I discovered the problem, I had been on myspace and just talking to a friend on Messenger, then went to sleep. That whole day I didn't install any new software or hardware. The only thing I can think of that would have been installed would be a Windows Update that would have come up in the system tray. But I don't remember specifically if one did. In either case, I doubt that any of it was due to a new installation etc. And the day after that I turned on the computer to find that SVCHOST.exe was slowing down the CPU. And no one had been on the computer between those times. It's really awkward because I can't find anything notable that would have changed my computer between those times. Only Windows Update. And I ran a System Restore yesterday to see if that would fix things and it didn't solve anything. And my Keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Then you could try the long way of disabling the non critical services and see if you can identify the one that's slowing the computer down. We should be able to provide more help once we know the culprit.

One harmless thing you can try first is to run the system file checker : prepare your XP CD, you'll need it if sfc asks to replace files, and run sfc /scannow.

Was your computer up to date with all the latest critical updates from windows update prior to the crash ?

I doubt it would be the case, as system restore would likely have solved the problem, but maybe the latest update is in cause. Run add/remove programs and check the "show updates" box. Try to uninstall that update and see if that changes anything.

You could also search microsoft help and support database with that update id number to see if they haven't released some hotfix for users that could be experiencing problems with it.

Closed Thread