Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

svchost.exe Slowing down computer

This is a discussion on svchost.exe Slowing down computer within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, recently my PC has been tremendously slowed down by 'svchost.exe' everytime I start up my computer it will have

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Arrow

Hi, recently my PC has been tremendously slowed down by 'svchost.exe' everytime I start up my computer it will have around 60%-100% CPU usage, I cant work on Word, run Application or anything.

I did several Anti Virus scans(AVG 8.0), did Spy-Bot scans, did Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool scans. I am fully clean, but the svchost.exe is still using a lot of my CPU.

I d/l procexp and got the following services from the lagging svchost

AudiSrv BITS Browser CryptSvc Dhcp ERSvc Event System FastUserSwitchingCompatibility helpsvc HideServ Iprip lanmanserver lanmanworkstation Netman Nla seclogon SENS SharedAcess ShellHWDetection srservice Themes TrkWks W32Time winmgmt wscsvc wuauserv WZCSVC

I will really appreciate some help.

btw. I downloaded and installed all the latest Windows Updates but it actually starting happening after I installed the latest update.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

svchost is just a way to load services (you call it with parameters, and it loads various services). This is lousy because in task manager you can never tell which is which. In Vista, you can try looking up the process ID in task manager, then look in software explorer in windows defender and match it up (see this pic: http://www.vista4beginners.com/files...lorer/wdf6.jpg - on the right pane you can actually see which service it is ). You could try download the XP version of Windows defender and see if software explorer is bundled with it.
Anyway once you find out which service is the bad one, you can go to services in administrative tools, and maybe turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

Another other ways to identify your svchost processes are listed here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...is-it-running/
and here:
http://www.wiredprairie.us/journal/2..._really_r.html

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Alright I'll go download it, see if I can fix it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

One question lol, how do I know which service is the bad one. I got Windows Defender, and Im in software explorer, I have many svchost services, but which is the bad one?
btw I just launched a scan, whatever that does.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

See the bar between the Name and Classification column? Drag it to the right to expand the left column a little bit. You should be able to see the process ID after the colon. Then in task manager, go to the processes tab, go to view, select columns, and make sure the process ID is checked. Then match up the svchost that's taking a lot of CPU power in the CPU column.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

I got it but what do I do now
PID : 1532
If I could only know which services are bad, I would end them in Administrative Tools>Services
Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

You got the PID. Now in Software Explorer, find that process on the left pane. It should say something like blah blah blah: 1532. Click on it. Then on the right look at the name of it. It should be listed under service. Then go to services and see if it's not something critical which you can stop.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

lol they all sound crtical, but I'll try guessing and see when CPU dropps
Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

try: 1. Dcom Server laucher (for updating windows) only need this running when checking for updates in Microsoft.

2. DNS Client = only need this if your using a domain or remote connection to the internet.

3. Netmeeting Remote
4. Remote registry
5. Remote auto acces connection manager = remote connections and domains
6. Remote desktop help session
7. TCP/IP net bios helper

these can be safely disabled if your NOT using remote and domain to connect to the internet.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

Also you can disable Universal plug and play, this is for security reasons, it is recommended
Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member

Disabled all BUT:
Windows Audio, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, DHCP Client, HID Input Service, Network Connections, Network Location Awareness (NLA), Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), System Restore Service, Themes, Windows Time, Windows Management Instrumentation, Security Center, Automatic Updates

Still at high CPU usage ......
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Should I just wait for new Windows Updates?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

You can't just turn them off randomly like that. Which one was PID 1532 aka the one that took 100%? (the PID of that instance of svchost will change every time your reboot or restart the process... so you have to check every time). Again, you have to check in task manager for the process ID, then look in software explorer for the name of the service.