Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

SVCHOST.EXE Crash - Then No Sound

This is a discussion on SVCHOST.EXE Crash - Then No Sound within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Within an hour of booting up, I get a Win32 or related error. The last time it happened, I noticed

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Pencil

Within an hour of booting up, I get a Win32 or related error. The last time it happened, I noticed that SVCHOST.EXE was chewing up over 80% of my CPU Usage before the file crashed.

After the error, audio will not work on my PC. No MP3s through Windows Media, no movie audio, no Youtube audio. If I go to the device manager, there are no exclamation marks or X marks indicating that a sound device is not working. But if you click on "sounds and audio devices", it simply says that there is no audio device. You also can't adjust the volume (the PC doesn't see that I have a mixer/audio device).

I ran AVG, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and ComboFix all in safe mode one at a time. I reinstalled Windows Service Pack 3 for XP, and even used their Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner. After all this, the problem still exists (error within a few minutes to an hour, totally random).

I've found this complaint posted on dozens of boards, yet so far no one seems to know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Did you try reinstalling the sound driver on your computer?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Did you try reinstalling the sound driver on your computer?
Yes. The problem seems to be relative to SVCHOST or my Windows settings. That the sound goes out is incidental.