Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

StyleXP not working & I deleted desktop.ini on accident

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been using StyleXP for awhile now. Usually without any trouble. Lately, I haven't been able to change my visual style. When I try to, it just stays at the one I'm currently using. Stupidly, I decided to delete all of the desktop.ini files I could find (in My Pictures, My Music, My Documents) thinking somehow, that would fix it.

It didn't. So now those three folders lost their little special-folder images (as well as the icons for C:, D: etc under 'My Computer', and my VS is still the same. I'm annoyed!. Can anyone help?

#2 ·
Hi toybird

Sorry for the delay in getting a reply to you (been busy). Any luck yet finding a solution?

If not, try these for a quick repair
1) System Restore
2) Uninstall StyleXP
3) Run a Registry Cleaner (CCleaner is effective).
4) Reinstall StypeXP

. . . and anytime you have unexpected system behavior, run some malware scans to rule out unexpected visitors causing havor with your system files.

To try System Restore:
1) Boot your computer into Safe Mode (start tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up, and select "Safe Mode" from the Boot Menu).
2) Logon as "Administrator".
3) Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, and select a restore point from before trouble started.

Try CCleaner to clean up
1) You can download CCleaner here --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html
2) Run the "Cleaner" functions to clean up temp files & other accumulating unnecessary files. Then run the "Issues" functions to clear up problems in the Registry. Run the "Issues" functions until CCleaner reports "no issues found."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.