Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] stuck at"Windows is starting up" screen -2nd laptop down

5K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  heidi87 
#1 ·
When booting the laptop (XP, SP 3) is stuck at the "Windows is starting up" window.

First, the log-in screen (where you enter user name and password) pops up only for less than a second, than it beeps and the screen disappears. (Usually this screen stays on and I change the user name from "administrator" to a different user name.)

I can start the laptop in the save mode, but I cannot switch to a different user (I guess this is normal). I would like to backup files (stored under the user name). Is there any way to switch users in the safe mode?

What can I do get over the stuck "Windows is starting up" screen?

I cannot go online with the laptop - the Wifi network is not working / not showing up at all (is this normal in the safe mode?)

This is a friends laptop I borrowed- my laptop has major issues as well http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...overwrites-everything-874786.html#post5487066
After the major issues with my laptop I installed and run Malwarebytes on my friends laptop just in case. The software found nothing. Zonealarm and Avira are installed and were always up to date.

I'm really desperate! Now the second laptop is down. I feel sooo bad about my friends laptop - Please help me fix it!!!!

Both laptops are running legal Windows XP versions - installed on them when bought.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: stuck at"Windows is starting up" screen -2nd laptop down

I'm not sure if I'm logged in under "administrator".

When I go to "switch users" - nothing happens.

When I go to "user accounts", the user "administrator" is password protected....I really don't remember ever entering a password - and I definitely couldn't enter any password today.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)

Go "Start" then to "Run" type "CMD" (without the quotes) at the command prompt copy and paste or type in then hit enter.

Code:
CHKDSK /R
type Y for yes then manually reboot.

This will take some time be patient do not stop the process. Reboot in safe mode log into the Admin account

Using the XP CD make sure it's the same version that is installed on the PC SP3 SP2 and Pro or Home edition. Open Command prompt by going to start then run type in CMD hit enter. In command prompt type in then hit enter....

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW
This will attempt to check integrity of Windows system file, and replace any missing or corrupted system files.

When that is done go here to fix or create a new user profile follow the steps.

How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473

#11 ·

Using the XP CD make sure it's the same version that is installed on the PC SP3 SP2 and Pro or Home edition. Open Command prompt by going to start then run type in CMD hit enter. In command prompt type in then hit enter....

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW
This will attempt to check integrity of Windows system file, and replace any missing or corrupted system files.
Do I have to insert the CD before I type in SFC /SCANNOW?
If I do it without CD (which is at home) I get only information about which type of scans it can do.

Attached is a print screen file of it.

Attachments

#8 ·

If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking you wireless should work. If you just boot in as Safe Mode, it will not. follow Jacks suggestions and see how you get along.

#9 · (Edited)

FYI
First scan (CHKDSK/R) is done. It re-started automatically, "log-in" screen popped up like before but stayed open long enough for me to read something like "couldn't log on to account due to restricted ....". Then window closed and new window with "smitty" as user popped up; I could click on this user and Windows started like usual.

Ups... back to where it was before. When I clicked on "log off" to log in as administrator, the computer shut down - I'm 100% sure that I didn't click on "turn off". When I restarted the laptop, it's stuck again like before...

I'll run the second scan now

#12 ·

This message shows the RPC server is unavailable.
In Safe Mode, go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter.
In the Services window, scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and change the Startup type to Automatic and Start the Service. If the Service won't start, go to the Dependencies tab and make sure those services are started as well. Once that is good to go, try SFC /scannow again, it doesn't matter when you put the CD in, but it won't start restoring files until you do.
If there still is no joy, then try a Repair Install

#13 · (Edited)

This message shows the RPC server is unavailable.
In Safe Mode, go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter.
In the Services window, scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and change the Startup type to Automatic and Start the Service. If the Service won't start, go to the Dependencies tab and make sure those services are started as well. l
When I opened it, the status was on "started" and Startup Type was on "Automatic".

I do have the RPC Locator on "manual" (status is blank) Should I change this to "start" and "automatic"?

For RPC under "dependencies" the first "box" is empty ("no dependencies"). The second box shows approx. 50 system components which depend on this service. When I try to start these services, I get the info: "Could not start the xxxx on Local Computer. Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode".
I tried it only with three dependents.

#15 ·

I think the OP is infected as well Jack, but see what happens.
When you type in SFC /scannow there is a space between C and the / but there is no space between the / and the scannow.
If that does not fix it, in Safe Mode with Networking, Click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and please post in that section of the forum and not here. While waiting for an answer from the Security Forum, download ADWCleaner. This will remove most redirects and browser addons.
You can also try a Clean Boot in normal mode.

#23 ·

I think the OP is infected as well Jack, but see what happens.
While waiting for an answer from the Security Forum, download ADWCleaner. This will remove most redirects and browser addons.

I downloaded the ADWCleaner but the software won't run. After starting it, nothing happen. In the Task Manager the program is listed under "processes" but NOT under applications. I cannot stop the process in the Task Manager - nothing happens when I click on "stop process".

So far no response from the Security Forum....

#16 ·

The OP is has already posted in the virus help forum for his or her PC. This issues here are for his friends PC. To the OP you should note in the virus help if you choose to also post in virus help to let them know that it is for a whole other issue or PC. If you Don't they make think it is a duplicate thread which is against the forum rules. Title the thread differently and note to them that it's a different PC.

#17 ·

When I type it like you said, I get the following message:

"Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba (The RPC server is unavailable)."

I double checked the services.msc - it's still on "started" and "automatic".

I will start another post under "Virus/Malware help".

THANKS!!!

#18 ·

After you get a clean bill of health from them come back here and we will try to reverse effects from any possible infections. This thread will remain open. Just come back to this thread when they give you a clean bill of health. Do not open a new one.

#24 ·

They are very busy be patient.
Boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Do not Run the ADWcleaner download, But Save It to your desktop. Then double click it to start it.

#28 ·

Its' kind of scary...
Today the laptop started without any issue.
The last few days I was using the laptop in "safe mode" - it wouldn't start normally.

I didn't do anything to it: I didn't run any software or scans since the last time I tried to start it normally (and it didn't work).
(The "Virus/Malwarebyte-Guys" haven't gotten back to me so far.)

I also could run the sfc /scannow command today - no error message.
I also run the "malwarebytes"-software after the computer started today without any issue - it didn't find anything.

The other laptop (see my "666666" post) nearly fixed itself also. Now the sixes are only popping up once when the log-in screen comes up. Afterwards everything is fine.

It's great in one perspective: now both laptops are working again!
On the other side, I'm suspicious / paranoid: Is somebody messing with my laptops/hacking them?
Would you do online banking with them???????
If somebody is hacking the laptops, would a log-in password stop him/her or is this a joke for somebody who can hack computers?

Thanks for your help anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 ·

Change your log in passwords Change any passwords to banking and financial sites jut to be sure.
Set a manual System Restore point for today, so that if something happens after that, you can restore to today's point.

#30 ·

Thanks! I'll change all passwords.

So far everything is fine -the first/other laptop is doing fine again also.
(Are you going to mark the thread as "solved" or should I do it?)

Thanks again for your help! You are doing a great job! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.